Hedgehogs Among Hellfire (Part Two)

1 Year and 4 Months Since the Reichenbach
Unknown Location

"Sherlock, you're becoming too attached to that hedgehog of yours." Mycroft walked into the office, his tone carrying a snarky air too it as always.
"No I'm not, he's just keeping me company while I'm 'working'. You never said I wasn't allowed a animal." Sherlock retorted defensively.
Mycroft sighed and leaned on his umbrella like a cane, using his free hand to pinch the bridge between his nose, frustrated.
"If you keep leaning on that poor umbrella like that, you might snap should you keep straying from your diet, dear brother."  The younger of the two quipped cockily.
Mycroft seethed slightly before composing himself again.
"What I'm trying to say is, you need to get rid of it."
Sherlock jumped up from the chair he had been previously lounging in.
"I can't do that! He's still healing, and I can't just let an injured companion go like that!"
"You did with John, why should i-"
Suddenly, Mycroft was slammed against the wall in the blink of an eye with his furious brother glaring down at him.
"Don't toss my friends about like they're disposable, Mycroft." Sherlock hissed, before letting go of the other man's collar quickly and turning away.
"Just don't get too attached, we both know what happened with Redbeard."
Sherlock scowled the entire way out of the base.

17 Nottingham Street
Temporary Flat near Baker Street

Sherlock pulled a long drag from his cigarette as he fed John a strawberry. The little thing gnawed on the tip as the consulting detective looked out the flat's ridiculously large window towards a fiery sunset, which gave some unpleasant memories of Baskerville.
The hedgehog turned away from his strawberry and nudged Sherlock's hand with his nose.
"What is it? You want your stomach rubbed?" John responded by nudging the hand again.
"Alright, alright."
Sherlock picked the hedgehog up and nestled him in his lap then began rubbing John's velvety tummy.
"Maybe Mycroft is right, I might be getting too attached." Sherlock muttered as the sun finally slipped behind the horizon.
John huffed and squirmed a bit.
"Don't worry, I won't get rid of you, I couldn't if I tried." Sherlock chuckled and sighed.

221B Baker Street

"John, I was thinking about making a cuppa or two, would you want one?" Mrs. Hudson asked as she walked into the flat. "Maybe a biscuit for Sherlock, as well?"
An otter scuttled over to the woman and John followed close behind.
"Yes, hello Sherl. I'll get you something in a minute." She cooed and rubbed the otter's forehead, who chirped happily.
"Sorry, Mrs. Hudson. He's been quite active today." John said and picked the otter up.
"Oh no, it's fine dear. Just try to keep him from my plants." She chuckled and returned downstairs.
"Sherlock, try to calm yourself. Mrs. Hudson hardly let you stay in the first place." John scolded and Sherlock simply trilled back a response of sorts.
John started heading towards the bathroom, and placed Sherl into the already partially full tub when he arrived.
The otter splashed about slightly and dove into the water, grabbing at the rubber duck floating in the corner.
The doctor smiled as he sat and watched the creature play in the water.

17 Nottingham Street
Temporary Flat near Baker Street

Sherlock gently held his hedgehog as he examined the previous wound John had gotten in Africa. The injury had now scarred over, and the only thing off now was that the fur underneath was missing and pink with scar tissue.
The consulting detective placed John inside his large enclosure as he got ready for bed.
"Get some sleep, John. We're on a plane to Romania tomorrow." Sherlock sighed before crawling into his bed.

(John is registered as an emotional support animal for Sherlock, so he comes on planes and travels with Sherlock.)