R e j e c t e d

We left the restaurant and Marco offered to drop me home. There was no point going to the hospital because it would only take hours to see a nurse and when we did they would only tell me to shit it out. It was late now, so there was no cars on the road and I got home in no time.

Marco pulls on the break and lowered the music on the radio.

"See you later Marco" I say whilst opening the car door

"Wait...you didn't answer my question" he reminds me, making me remember the actual purpose of tonight and that ring.

"You didn't really ask"

I watch as he rummages through his blazer pocket and picks out a small gummy ring.

I chuckle "you had that in your pocket the whole time?"

"Knowing your clumsy ass, I figured something like this would happen" he smiles. He grabs my hand and places the gummy ring on my finger "so? will you marry me?" He squints, unsure of his own question

I draw in a deep breath

"We wouldn't have to get married straight away-

"Marco" I interrupt "I'm not saying no...but-

"But your not saying yes either" he sighs, defeated and I nod.

"I just need to think about it" I say, sinking back into my seat.

"Fine" Marco replies. We were both sat silently in the car, looking out the windscreen.

I reluctantly pipe up "..But if I was to say yes, you have to realise that I don't want anything to change"

He looks at me.

"I still don't want people knowing about us" I add

He scoffs "h-how can we continue our relationship in secret?"

"We're just gonna have to. And if that's not what you want then-

"Don't" he warns "I'm not leaving you"

I peck him once on the cheek and again on his jawline before exiting the car and walking out into the blistering breeze. I hold the thin material between my cleavage as I walk up the driveway.

Turning back I wave Marco off before he drives away and I enter the house.

Lord help me

_________

LATER THAT NIGHT

marco's pov.

I woke up in the middle of the night with a million and one things running through my mind. All revolving around tonight's events.

1 am

"Top me up" I demand, slamming the glass down on the counter.

"Please would be nice. Didn't your mother teach you any manners" the waitress teases

"Please" I plead, dragging out each letter. She picks up my jug and holds it under the tap whilst pulling down on the leaver.

"You always look lonely" she begins "You should bring your girlfriend here sometime"

"Girlfriend?" I huff "I'm not sure if I have one of those anymore"

"What did you do?" The waitress sighs

My face screws up "Why do you assume it's my fault?" I ask, slightly offended

"It's always the guys fault"

"Actually, if you must know, I proposed and she rejected me" I take my jug of beer from her and begin to sip from eat, licking the foam off my lips after each sip.

"Ouch" she cringed "I can't believe someone would hurt my Marco like that"

"hmm" I reply

"How old is she?" She asks, now leaning into the bar with her head rested in her palms

"She turns 21 next month"

"Ok, she's younger. Maybe she's not ready for a huge commitment like this"

"Bruh. I'm 27. I want to settle down"

"I get that. You can't be chasing these girls around anymore. Your not as young as you used to be"

"Yeah" I agree "Maybe 21 is too young for me"

I finish the rest of my beer in one huge gulp.