"I spoke to the doctor."

Pairing: Super Husbands (Steve / Tony)
Warnings: Mentions of Mpreg (male pregnancy) 
Word Count: 759 words

A/N: First thing; I put Mpreg as a warning because I know that some people may not like the idea of a man having a baby. So the warning is more of an FYI than anything. Second thing; I hope you all had a good Christmas (if you celebrate it)!! I also hope that everyone has a fantastic New Year (and birthday if you're like me)! And lastly; we've hit 20K reads! That's phenomenal guys. Thank you all so much!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Steve paced up and down the white halls. The smell of chemicals made his stomach churn and his breathing was ragged. His heart beat loudly in his ears, making it hard to concentrate on anything that wasn't in his head.

As Steve lifted his hand to brush it through his hair, he caught sight of what was on it. No matter how much he didn't want to think about it, it couldn't be ignored.

His hand was coated in dry blood, as was the rest of his front.

Tony's blood.

Clenching his fist, Steve squeezed his eyes shut as he thought of all the possible ways this could go wrong.

What if they didn't make it?

What if Tony died?

What if -

A hand touched his shoulder, causing Steve to jump and turn around, raising his closed fist without realising. The person behind him jumped back out of range so they wouldn't be thrown against the opposite wall.

"Steve." The person said. "Snap out of it."

Steve mentally hit himself when he realised he was just about to hurt his friend.

"Nat," He started, "I'm so sorry. I don't know what's wrong with me." He admitted sullenly. Natasha gave a soft sigh but kept her distance. She wasn't sure how he was going to react to the news he was about to receive.

"I spoke to the doctor." Natasha said cautiously. Steve tensed and put all of his attention on her.

"And?" Steve asked hesitantly. He hoped that everything was okay.

"And... Tony lost a lot of blood. The two stab wounds in his back were very close to hitting his right lung but fortunately hit nothing major. His head wound is severe and the doctors won't know if anything is wrong until he's awake. He has two broken ribs and a broken arm. That's the extent of his injuries physically, but mentally? There's no way to know until he wakes up."

Steve all but whispered his next question. "What about the baby?"

Natasha gave Steve a smile and beckoned to him. "How about we go check on him?" She asked. Steve nodded his head and followed her.

Natasha led him down several corridors before they came to the nursery. She quickly slipped away before returning with a pair of scrubs for him.

"Perhaps you should clean yourself up before you see him." She offered, pointing to a bathroom a few doors down. He thanked her and all but ran to get himself changed.

Steve couldn't bring himself to look in the mirror the whole time he was in the bathroom. He did, however, manage to scrub most of the blood off his person before slipping the clothes on.

When he exited the bathroom, Natasha was standing at a giant glass window, leaning against the wall next to it. When she heard him approached, she acknowledged him with a bob of her head before opening the door situated on the other side of the window.

Steve gave a quick glance at the sign above the doorway and crept inside as quietly as he could. There were a few babies inside and Steve couldn't help but wonder which one they were looking for.

His eyes scanned the room and drifted to the tiny form furthest from him.

"Is that...?" He started. Natasha nodded her head and a nurse appeared, giving him a small smile as she reached down to pick up the baby.

"Hold out your arms, Mr. Rodgers." The nurse said gently. Steve could only gape as the small weight was shifted into his large arms.

"He still needs to be named." Natasha pointed out.

One name instantly came to Steve's mind. He and Tony had talked and argued about so many different names over the past three months. It felt like it was only yesterday when they came to one they'd agreed on.

"Peter. Peter Stark-Rodgers." Steve with such certainty, no one would question it.

Steve didn't notice anything else happening around him as the nurse quickly jotted the given name down and Natasha slipped from the room. The only thing he had eyes for was the little baby held securely in his arms.

A small nudge to his side brought his eyes up to see Natasha grinning at him.

"It's Tony. He's awake and he's asking for you." She said gleefully. Steve looked down to the little bundle in his arms.

"Want to go meet your dad, Peter? He's been waiting a long time to meet you, you know." Steve whispered softly. "We both have."