Accustomed to Loss

"Kaden is out of his coma. We're back together." I said to Sidney. She stopped and observed me for a minute.

"I imagine I'm the only one you've shared this news with." She said. I laughed.

"I know it sounds crazy, but he's not that crazy Lace I told you about anymore. I visited him everyday this week, and I can see he's changed." I told her.

"You sure he won't come home and get set off?" She asked.

I nodded, "An anger problem just doesn't disappear. I'm willing to get him help just like I'm getting help. I'll bring him next time." I said. She nodded.

"Well, I guess that's all for this session." I nodded, leaving the room. I had never taken a seat.

I went immediately to the hospital. I walked in as they were preparing Kaden for discharge. I walked with him the the front desk to sign papers, and we left. I drove him home. I helped get him inside his apartment and everything.

"When you plan on letting the hood know you straight?" I asked. He shook his head.

"One thing about the streets: they're accountable for every pair of shoes that touch them. The streets knew I was here before I got here." Kaden said.  I looked at him for a second. I had heard that before.

"King always said that." I mumbled in recognition. He smiled.

"During those two years, I met King. I talked about you so much, my Kaia. He always just listened, smiling. He never told me he was your brother until one day I fucked around and confessed what I put you through. I had to fight that nigga with everything in me. He tried to kill me." Lace laughed. I shook my head.

"I'm guessing he told you what he did too."

Lace nodded, "He was so sorry. He begged me to get you to see him when I got out. I told him I would."

"I won't be seeing him." I stated.

"You won't have to. All you'll be visiting is the cemetery." Lace told me. I starred at him in disbelief.

"He didn't die while I was there. When I was there he was my brother. Nobody fucked with the two of us."

"So how'd he die?" I asked.

"There was a riot. Shit gets out of hand during riots." Lace explained.

"I have to go see my mom." I mumbled. I walked out immediately.

I got in the car and drove home, to my mom's house. I tried to unlock it but my key didn't fit. I knocked on the door, but she didn't even answer. I rolled my eyes.

"She can hold a grudge for ever."

I looked under the welcome mat, finding the spare key. That's really not a smart place. I unlocked the door and let myself in.

I heard music blasting from upstairs. I followed the sound of the music to her room.

"Ma... Suh where you at?" I asked. I walked into her bathroom and screamed. She looked at me, but she was damn near gone. I looked at the empty pill bottle in her hand, and then at her. I kissed her forehead.

"I love you mommy."

"I love you too." She whispered before closing her eyes. I began crying as I grabbed the phone dialing 911. I've lost too many, but I'm accustomed to it now.

I know people are all temporary.