Accustomed to Disassociation

That night Siriya sent out a group message not to come to her house. I looked down at my phone.

It read: Jordxie Added HighlyxLaced to GANG‼️🗡

TheyhateRi- No linking up tonight. Jordan and I got business to handle

SwipertheSniper: Y'all wrap it up

Lennnnn- Naw we need a lil baby to play with.

Jordxie: Won't be getting one from us.

The group started lighting up like crazy then. I looked over at Josiah in the driver's seat of his car. He laughed, looking back at me.

"I know I'm fine, but damn. You always staring." He said.

"Calm down my nigga because you lightweight ugly." I said.

"I guess you don't want no food." He said. I look out the window to see we were at WingHut.

"I'm sorryyyy." I whined.

"Yeah." He pulled up and we got out.

"Snipe!" Some girl cheered, running over to us. She pulled him into a hug. He hugged her back, his hands on her lower back, hers around his neck. I looked sideways.

"Wassup Shawnie?" He smiled.

"Nothing. I was actually about to hit you up." She licked her lips. He smirked. I crossed my arms cocking my eyebrows. He didn't say a word to me.

"Just get my food. Imma be in the car." I stated, walking out. I sat in the car on my phone for a while. It was taking Josiah a while. He was probably with that hoe.

Lace's contact flashed on the top of my phone consistently. No threats came, he wouldn't send those through text. My phone began ringing. It was him. I starred at it until it stopped. He texted again:

Bitch😐- See the phone in your hand. Stop playing with me.

I froze looking up. I saw Lace standing beside the door to WingHut, smiling at me.

I rolled down the window, looking out to see Josiah walking through the door with our food.

"Josiah!" I barely got the chance to scream before Lace hit him over the head with his gun. Josiah was confused. He reached for his gun, spinning around, trying to see who was attacking him.

Then, the shot rang out.

Everyone ran. The area was clear before I completely got out of the car. Even Lace was gone... completely out of sight.

I ran over to Josiah, examining him, looking for the bucket.

"I'm ok." He said. I looked at him. I saw the side of his shirt staining with blood.

"No. You got shot." I said. He started to get up. I tried to stop him.

"Back up. I got drugs. I got guns. My ass can't stay here and wait for no damn police. Drive me to my mom's house."

I nodded and did as told. I was so damn scared. It seemed like sirens were coming from everywhere.

---

"He missed. The bullet grazed Jo's side, but that's it." Mrs. Sydney told me. I nodded, looking over at Josiah on his bed.

"I'm sorry." I told her.

"It's not your fault sweetie. I'm praying for you." She told me.

"Ma get on with that praying stuff." Josiah said. I looked at him like he was crazy. I could never imagine talking to my ma that way, and I'm 20. He may be 23 but still...

"Thank you. I pray for your son every night. He just doesn't know it." I mumbled. She laughed.

"Yeah sweetie. Keep it up." She said.

"I hear y'all." He said. She just rolled her eyes, walking out of the room. Josiah looked at me.

"You gon' stay all the way over there when yo man need some love?" He asked.

"Where Shawnie at. I bet she won't mind showing you hella love," I shrugged.

"Why you wanna be petty right now?"

"Im not being petty fam. I'm just saying. Go get that bitch to pamper you." I said.

"Is that bitch the reason this bullet hit me?" He asked. I was silent after that. He had a point. My phone went off twice in the silence that followed.

Bitch😐- Calling that nigga by his government🤔? I know what's real. 👌🏽

Bitch😐- Do you even remember mine?🤔

I knew Lace's government, but I hadn't used it since he got abusive.

I felt like I didn't know a Kaden anymore. I got accustomed to disassociating myself with Kaden. There was just a Lace, and damn, I hated Lace.