XVII - Nightmares

Start from the beginning

"Mara, run!"

She didn't think she could, even if she tried. Her eyes stayed glued to the man who stood towering above her, dressed in all black, a hood and mask drawn over his face. In his hand was a kind of weapon, one made of pure energy, the violet red hue sizzling against the rain. She knew what that weapon was. Her father owned one just like it: a lightsaber.

"Father!" she yelled out in terror.

"Run, Mara!" Kai-Rin ordered again, igniting his own lightsaber quickly enough to block the attack of the strange man.

Red and purple blades clashed, sparking with every encounter. Mara could only stare, her legs too weak to walk across the slippery ground. Her father fought valiantly, looking like a true hero, but the man he fought against was too much. He was aggressive, emotionally-fueled, obviously better trained with the weapon they both wielded. He was too strong, and soon, Mara screamed uncontrollably as her father was run through with the red lightsaber, killing him almost instantly.

"NO!"

A shock-wave of panic and distress rushed through the Force, hitting Luke with such power that he almost felt like falling over. It was just like what he had felt while staring at the burning Lars homestead. The emotion was so strong, almost as if it was his own, though he knew the fear belonged to someone else.

"Mara," he realized, scrambling up from his chair and rushing out of the cockpit, ignoring Han's yells of confusion.

"No," Mara mumbled out in her sleep, sweat gliding down her face. "No, please, no. Father... Father!"

Her eyes snapped open right and she bolted upright in her cot. Just seconds later, Luke rushes into the room.

Her head still spinning, she turned towards him. "Luke?" Her voice was feeble and confused. 

"Yeah, yeah, I'm here. It's me," Luke said softly, moving to take a seat on the edge of the cot next to her. "Are you alright?"

Mara felt hot and clammy all over, and her breaths were coming out in short pants. But she nodded slowly. "I'm fine. It was just a dream," she promised, in a way that sounded like she was trying to convince herself more than Luke. "I'm sorry. I haven't had one that bad in years. Used to get them all the time."

"No, don't be sorry," Luke said, seeming like he was trying not to linger on the fact that Mara used to have nightmares like this constantly. "You can tell me, if you want."

Mara hesitated for a moment, wondering if she really wanted to talk about it. She leaned back against the wall behind her, bringing her knees to her chest. She tried to focus on her breathing for a moment before actually speaking. 

Finally, Mara opened her mouth to speak, a deep sigh coming out before saying, "It was of my father, the night he died. He was... he was killed by someone like Vader."

"A Jedi?"

Mara nodded. "A Sith," she said. "With a red lightsaber..."

She then dropped her head into her arms with a deep sigh, so emotionally drained that she couldn't find the strength to hold herself up. She eventually rested her chin on her knee, staring into space again.

Luke placed a tentative hand on her back. "Did you... did you, see it?" he asked, probably fearing she would react badly.

Mara's silence answered the question for him already, but she nodded anyways.