【Chapter 23: Reflective】「Kazuo」

Chapter 23: Reflective

I finally heard news of Kizuo's arrest. I heard his wife died, his son was locked up, and Satoshi is permanently insane. What has this world came to?

The biggest tragedy was that my parents are gone. I miss them till this day. I wish I knew what they were like. I will always live with the regret of not knowing.

After I figured out my parents had both cheated on one another, I was completely turned off by them. I didn't want to associate with them if they were doing shit like this behind each other's backs.

I dyed my hair completely black now. I was planning to stay one week in Japan. I wanted to live my childhood, but I felt empty. My family isn't here anymore. What did I do wrong?

I made a decent amount of money, have a beautiful wife, and daughter. Yet my family is gone, and my brother ruined everything.

I went into a supermarket to see if they had Gokuri. This was my favorite drink as a kid. Mostly the grapefruit flavored one.

I saw a random employee, and tapped him. His stare caught me off guard. It was so intense.

It was a weird feeling I was having. He told me I reminded him of someone. I didn't know there was another me. There was no way he knew who Kizuo was. It would be a small world if he did.

I went into the hotel that day, and called my wife. She sounded sad on the line.

"I miss you Kazuo. How is Japan?" Her sweet calming voice was soothing to hear after being in this crisis.

"Japan is alright. I am missing my family. I miss you dear." I smiled sadly as I sat on the bed. "How is my rascal." I asked how my daughter was doing. My pride, and joy.

"She is taking a nap. We all will be waiting for you sweetheart."

"I will be back soon. Tell you more later."

"You know...you should visit your brother."

It was a strange request, but my wife knew best in times like this. It wouldn't hurt to visit, but I didn't want to visit at the same time. I was scared to see a vision of myself behind bars.

"I will." I didn't want to go against it. I will feel the ultimate guilt if Kizuo died, and I didn't have a chance to say one final thing to him.

I decided to go to bed for now, and visit in the morning. Who knew what events may occur then.

The next morning I was at the cell Kizuo was in. It took forever to track him down, but I managed. I chose to stay maybe one more week in Japan just because my gut told me to.

I waited in the prison. I was escorted to the cafeteria room where I saw other prisoners with their loved ones. It sadden me since I knew half these men were innocent. I sighed.

I looked down at my watch. It was 1:00 in the afternoon. I saw stares on me. I guess I looked pretty...different. I chose to come in here with a dress shirt, and dress pants. I was the only high class looking one here. I guess France really changed my fashion quite a bit. Maybe I should have toned it down. I guess in a bitter way, I wanted to show off to Kizuo what I have, and what he didn't.

I heard the doors open, and two officers, and one inmate walking towards me with cuffs on his wrists, and ankles. Silly man still has that ridiculous blonde hair. I couldn't help, but feel sorry for him. He's still living in a fantasy that he is me. It's sad. I wanted him to be himself for once.

He looks up shocked. He looked as if he was about to cry. It made me want to cry too. I haven't seen him in many years. It was so strange yet so fulfilling.