xxii [R]

"Jungkook"

The sound of his mother's voice engulfs Taehyung as his mouth turns dry and a hot flush surges throughout his body, making him feel weak all over.

His eyes flick to Jungkook who looks equally as pale. The younger is staring at Jiyeon, Taehyung's mother, like she's a ghost. His eyes are wide, mouth agape and fists clenching. The truth is, he has no idea how she knows him either.

The first words to cut through the silence come from Jungkook, voice wavering.

"H-how do you know my name?" He asks as Jiyeon steps forward, causing Jungkook to move away and Taehyung to direct his attention back to his mother. She looks both surprised and relieved which causes confusion to arise within both boys.

"It is you, right? Jeon Jungkook?" She queries and reaches out a hand to brush his cheek, only to touch the air next to him as he dodges her extended fingers. He nods in response to her answer but does not say a word.

"Answer his question" Taehyung suddenly blurts, Jiyeon shooting a glare but soon softening. She nods and steps back so that Jungkook feels more comfortable.

"I used to date your father..."

"What?" The two boys say in unison with the same frown and furrowed eyebrows. The idea makes Jungkook nauseous.

"It was before you were both born, when we were at university. It lasted three years and he even proposed..."

Jungkook goes a sickly grey and his mouth is set in the shape of an 'o'. Jiyeon, faced with silence, decides this is an indication to continue.

"However, he went away on a business trip to Busan and never returned. He met a beautiful young lady and fell helplessly in love. We broke up and he moved in with her and later, got married and had a child. The child's name was Jungkook"

Jungkook goes numb and feels somewhat sorry for Jiyeon. His father never spoke of his past love lives but he never really took notice of it.

"That doesn't explain how you know that Jungkook is the same kid" Taehyung insists, placing a hand on the younger's shoulder. He flinches but soon settles.

"I looked at his dad's Facebook page and saw some family photo--"

"You stalked my dad?" Jungkook perks up after his long length of silence, quirking an eyebrow.

"No, I was just curious. Besides, I have a husband of my own... and a son"

"Yeah don't forget about me"

"How is he? Your father, I mean" Jiyeon asks, tilting her head and offering a warm smile. No one returns it.

"He's fine"

An awkward silence fills the room like water. Jungkook begins to feel lightheaded, lungs burning like he's drowning. Jiyeon bites her lip and sighs.

"I think this is my cue to leave, I need to attend a meeting. Jungkook..." she pauses, staring at him like he's something ethereal.

"You have your father's eyes"

And with that, she leaves.

-x-

"Hyung, harder!"

"I'm t-trying"

Taehyung continues to push Jungkook on the swing, attempting to get him higher in the sky, the rattling of the chains sounding harsh and ramshackled. The breeze in the park whips around them, wind lashing against Jungkook's soft face and winding through his hair like slim fingers.