ix. bar hopping is my favorite hobby

09 | bar hopping is my favorite hobby

DOROTHY STOOD WITH Newt, looking down at her beloved city with sadness. She was officially a criminal, and officially wanted by MACUSA, and if caught, she would be killed.

She remembered when she was younger, standing out on her balcony when a party raged downstairs. She remembered seeing the skyline in the distance, the lights still alive even though it was already midnight and she was supposed to be asleep. Dorothy loved New York. She loved how it never slept, always awake, always partying, and she wanted to be a part of it.

But she never was. Dorothy was never outgoing enough to be invited to parties. She never spent every night drunk and waking up without memory of the night before. And she wasn't "normal" like her parents, so she never knew what galas were like on the inside.

While she watched the city, Newt and Tina were standing together, muttering about something and Queenie walked into the pigeon coop where Jacob stood.

"Your grandfather kept pigeons?" Queenie asked him with a smile, "Mine bred owls. I used to love feeding 'em."

Dorothy closed her eyes for a second, letting herself remember when she was younger and the second maid she became closest to sat with her as she watched the city glow.

"Life is too short to dream, honey," the woman told her with a frown, "If you want something, take it."

And Dorothy did that. She dreamed about going to the big city she adored, dreamed about living there and finding love in the city, and she did. Well, she was working on the love part, but she definitely did put her dreams into action, holding those words close to her.

Dorothy had dreamed of so much more, though. She dreamed of traveling, immersing herself in different cultures, and helping people. Dorothy wanted so much more from life, and she knew that it could never happen as long as she was a fugitive.

"Graves always insisted the disturbances were caused by a beast," Tina said as Dorothy walked over to them, "We need to catch all your creatures so he can't keep using them as a scapegoat."

The James girl looked at Tina with sadness. She felt bad for everything she had said to the girl before they were taken to be executed. In that cell, with everything crashing down on her, she was angry and took it out on the Goldstein girl.

"There's only one still missing," Newt told them, "Dougal, my Demiguise."

"Dougal?" Tina asked as Dorothy furrowed her eyes in confusion, saying, "Demiguise?"

Instead of answering their questions, Newt continued, "Slight problem is that...um, he's invisible."

"Invisible?" Tina stated again, smiling slightly at how ridiculous the idea was.

Dorothy, though, rolled her eyes, moving around slightly. All she wanted was to go home, seeing Margaret again before they left, and pretend like the weekend never happened.

"Yes - most of the time...he does...um," Newt tried to explain, but looking at Dorothy, with her eyebrows creased and disbelief written on her face, he forgot the rest of his sentence.

"How do you catch something -?" Tina began to question him as Newt broke her off.

"With immense difficulty," Newt said with a small smile, looking at Dorothy.

Dorothy, who was spinning gears in her mind, tried to think of anyone she knew who could help them. Obviously, they were too busy to notice anything unusual with an invisible figure. But not everyone had the weekend she had, and she knew that someone would be watching - or just so happened to witness it.