Chapter 2 Operation: Safe World.

"Hey, Neeran," said Zach, poking his head through the door and seeing her pottering away at a document on a datapad. "Whatcha doing?"
"Working on this report for Mothma and the Rebellion High Council," replied Neeran, finishing scanning the document another time before turning to face Zach.
"I'm starting to get sick of it."
"What's it about?" asked Zach, unsure of any paperwork that they hadn't done.
"I said that there were somethings that needed tweaking in the Safe World protocols and procedures, so I, after opening my big mouth, had go and make the changes, whereupon I discovered more errors and have had to edit them as well," explained Neeran.
"Ah."
"And now, I wish that someone else could do this work. Mostly just the typing. The others have all mysteriously vanished on me."

"Yeah, shame no one else can help you," said Zach quietly as he attempted to slip just as quietly away from her. That was when Zach's accidentally implication reached Neeran and she rounded on him in a second.
"Wait a minute."

Zach wasn't waiting.
He was scarpering.

"Why Zach, you-" yelled Neeran before stopping and muttering, "Can't use those words, small ears present."

This didn't deter her in chasing his sorry ass around the ship, leaving the datapad and its contents to rest for the time being.

Within the contents of the datapad was all the details possible for the construction and subsequent running of a Rebel Safe World.

To be known as the beginning of the revampment of the Alliance Support Services, these new Safe Worlds were to be the unsung heroes of the Rebellion, keeping Rebel soldiers supplied with food, clothing and weapons. They could beg, borrow, steal and/or build all of the starfighters, guns, medical equipment and droids beyond the purchase of the Alliance.
They would be refugee worlds that would offer aid to the sick, injured and helpless.

People connected to the Rebellion, whether as a parent, wife, child, friend or close associate, can come and live on these Safe Worlds as refugees without the fear of the might of the Empire. No one related to a Rebel Alliance soldier would be safe from the might of the Empire, which is where the operations of the Safe Worlds come in.

The population of the Safe Worlds is varied and inhabited by all kinds of Rebel sympathisers who cannot or will not fight against the Empire but are in danger in Imperial Controlled Space. These personnel include injured or retired Alliance war veterans, individualists who have been too outspoken, pacifists, dissidents, political leaders in exile and especially family members of Rebel Soldiers and refugees of Imperial tyranny. Virtually every species known in the galaxy is a part of some Safe World community somewhere.

Populations average at around 5,000-20,000 inhabitants as this number is large enough to create a safe environment, but small enough to avoid undue attention from the Imperials.

There is even an idea for Imperial prisoners to be a part of Safe Worlds. They are dropped on a continent far from the Rebel settlement and given supplies to survive a year if they work hard. They are then left to their own devices aside from periodic visits from a heavily-armed medical ship.

Life on a Safe World is predominately primitive as to increase avoiding detection by Imperials. This is tolerated because the Alliance simply cannot support a more sophisticated presence on a Safe World and the more primitive the settlement appears, the greater the chance of the Imperials overlooking them as another "two-credit ball of dirt" not worth taxing for supplies.

Imperial Survey Corps (ISC) agents and scouts are always on the lookout for settlements wealthy enough to afford items like power generators and repulsorcrafts which they can pick up from the edge of a planetary system. Poor systems are just simply looked over by the agents.

Safe Worlds could also potentially be suitable places to train new recruits, though the routes to the worlds would have to be earned and everything carefully monitored by a superior Rebel officer to ensure that the locations of these worlds never got out and into Imperial knowledge.

Some of the best Rebel recruits come from the previously established Safe World communities. As said before, Safe Worlds are worlds where the families of known Rebels have fled or been taken to for safety to evade Imperial capture. These worlds are filled with the spouses, parents, siblings and children of the Alliance.
In time, these children grow up and, not unnaturally, many of these particular youngsters decide to follow in the footsteps of their Rebel family members in the struggle against the Empire.

These grown-up children are among the best Rebel Alliance soldiers known in the Alliance Forces.

Which is where the role of the planet Cularin would come in, when it was remembered by the crew of the Spectre, especially the soldier presently chasing her life partner around said ship...