Chapter One

Chapter One

Isabelle POV

I woke up with a start. My heart was racing, my lungs gasping for air, sweat beads running down my back and my eyes wide open, jumping from corner to corner of my small, grey, depressing room that Saint Claire's provided.

Saint Claire's orphanage was just a sad little four story building with a big, red heart and a cross in the middle with it's name written on it. I've been here since I was practically a baby. I have no history what so ever of my family and honestly I couldn't care less. I never knew them so I never had a emotional attachment with anyone.

I calmed down a bit and stood up and looked around. My white twin bed was in the far left corner and my wooden night drawer was next to it with a lamp, then only source of light that provided the house. In the right side I had a small wooden drawer that had all my clothes, shoes and personal stuff. I saw my old busted skateboard just resting behind the door that was in front of the foot of my bed.

I then walked the wooden the floor to the other side of my room which had a huge window with a screen that kept out bugs but let the air in. I peaked out and saw the beautiful city of New York in the crack of dawn. I saw the black clouds polluting the environment and heard random cars pass by. The building was just in front of a huge road and was squished in the middle by two markets that thankfully provided food to us kids.

I remembered then the scorpion, how it's eyes we're staring at me as its target. A shiver went down my back. Mostly when I have dreams they come true which worries me about how a freaking gigantic scorpion will try to kill me. I've had this dream a couple of times but this is a first time that I heard a boy's voice. He must have sounded like my age or older.

I should be getting ready. I grabbed my clothes out of the drawer and walked out the door. In a very sneaky manner, I tip toed to the bathroom that was next to my room thank God.

I took a quick shower and brushed my teeth and just fixed my appearance up in 15 minutes. I saw into the mirror that was in front of the sink and was more or less pleased with the girl in front.

It must have been 7:30 cause I heard the nuns opening the doors and walking into each room and saying good morning. I panicked for a bit and put my ear next to the door to hear when they walked away. I really don't have a nice history with the nuns. Ever since I came here I was a bit of a troublemaker from duck taping their door shut to dying their nunny clothes into colors of the rainbow. Let's just say I'm not their favorite child. I'm the oldest one here and my chances for being adopted are minimum. Who wants a rebel teen anyway?

I ran to my room when the coast was clear. I grabbed my purple Jansport backpack, my leather jacket, iPod and my skateboard and headed out. I ran so fast I'm pretty sure I left skid marks. I didn't want to handle Bloody nun Mary and Terrible nun Tiffany. I heard screaming about breakfast or something but I closed the door fast. I zipped up my leather jacket and layed down my skateboard against the pavement. I looked over to the huge apple tree that was in the lawn of my "home". They say that around I started living here, a random stranger planted an apple seed and it started growing faster than normal trees. I picked one and munched on it. These apples are the best I've ever tasted. I put on my earbuds and pressed play and Blink 182 started playing. I was riding my skateboard which I nicknamed "trochoí". I have no idea where I got it but it means "wheels". Meh I'm weird already.

I was cruising down the sidewalk just enjoying the wind and the sun in my face when I felt someone calling my name. I took one earbud off and turned my head only to see Lulu. Lulu is a sweet kid that lives down the street. Her parents own a bakery so she always smells of baked bread. She was about 6 years old and has the most amazing red hair I've ever seen. Her hair is so curly and wild that it complements her personality. She is honesty a firecracker.