Proudly Claimed

"Nak, ready ka na?" comes the voice of your dad that somewhat disturb your relative peace and quiet.

"Ready na dad." Was your sure answer.

Your dad could only nod his head in agreement. As one of the people closest to you and knows you best, the answer didn't really come as a surprise anyways.

"I should have done this a long time ago, Dad. I shouldn't have waited for things to come this far. Ang dami tuloy nasaktan. Ang daming masasakit na salita na nabitawan."

"I'm sorry Dad." You continued, holding your Dad's eye still "I know that you've always said that we should treat everyone with kindness, but I could no longer standy and just let things be. Not when the people I care the most about are being malinged. I hope you understand."

"Nak, you don't need to apologize. Alam ko, higit kanino, na may hangganan ang lahat. Di sa lahat ng oras, pwedeng magpasensiya. There comes a time, that when people we love are being treated unfairly, we must stand and speak up. Basta tandaan mo 'Nak, andito lang kaming pamilya para sa'yo. Ano man ang mangyari, walang iwanan. Pangako yan!"

You can't help but get a bit teary eyed with you Dad's statement. Overwhelmed of the unconditional love and support that he, together with the rest of your family have offered.

"O, huwag kang maiiyak. May press-conference ka pang haharapin. Halika na."

And just like that, the subdued moment turned into a laughter filled one. Trust your dad to always make things lighter.

"Dad, naman eh! Andun na 'yong moment eh! Andun na eh" you jokingly reprimanded, but quietly thankful for the reprieve.

As what your dad just mentioned, you are about to face the press, or "vultures" of the entertainment industry and you'll need all your wits to face them. Sure, some of them admittedly are not that bad, but majority are ruthless. It won't do for you to be in front of them with red-rimmed eyes. Not when you want to make it known that you and yours are not something to be trifled with.

They can grill you to their hearts content later. Much much later. When you've made it abundantly clear how things are supposed to be, moving forward.

But for now, stoic persona on. Time to face the music.

***

"Ladies and Gentlemen, as previously mentioned, please refrain from interrupting Alden until he's done speaking. Please reserve your questions 'til later. Alden will answer as much as he can but let us give him the few minutes he requested without any interruptions." You heard the prescon facilator, your Ateng Rams, address the people in attendance.

When you took a peek earlier, the hall was filled to the rafters, each and everyone, curious as to the reason why you called for this press-conference. After Ateng's reminder, you could imagine the invited press murmuring to each other. Hopefully though, they'll heed the stipulation of saving their questions for later.

"Ladies and Gentlemen, Mr. Alden Richards."

And that was your queue to take center stage on the lone chair in the middle of a make-shift dais.

"Thanks Ateng!" you acknowledged while he was on the way to the side of the platform to stand with your Dad and your Tatay Tony Tuviera.

Seeing your dad and Tatay, not too mention that it was Ateng Rams who is the facilator of the press-con, you see the chips of the puzzle starting to fall to it's rightful place.

Good. That means that this will go relatively easy then.

With a deep breathe you start with your prepared statement with everyone paying rapt attention and ensuring that their cameras and recorders are good to go.