Chapter 2

I returned to the library after hours of negotiation. To my surprise, Solin was fast asleep, but her brow was furrowed and there was discomfort in the way she laid. "Solin?" I whispered, sitting beside her, brushing my hand against her cheek in hopes to wake her peacefully. But upon touching I found it dewy with sweat and far too warm. I knew something was wrong before but I wished I had done something about it sooner.

I shouted for the guards outside the doors, they came through quickly as I lifted Solin into my arms. "I need a healer, hurry."

Nursemaids were flitting about the room in whispers, carrying clean rags and sheets into the room.

"Your majesty, please come with me." One of them said, ushering me across the room towards the bedroom.

"How is she?" I asked her, but by the time the words came out my eyes already saw Solin laying in bed, an elder maid sat beside her.

"A fever, unexpected," The elder said, standing to make way for me. "She has been in and out of rest for several hours."

"Solin?" I whispered, stroking her hair back from her forehead. It was beading with sweat, warm and flushed. I turned and held out my hand, a maid rung out a cloth and quickly handed it to me. "What can we do?"

"Little, as of now, hopefully she will wake soon, then we can judge her and with some luck she'll eat." the elder said to me quietly. "I'll stay around if you like, the others were just cleaning up the room, sterilizing what we can."

"Please." I nodded and sat on the bed beside Solin.

Instinctively I feared the worst even though I knew better

Instinctively I feared the worst even though I knew better. I had confidence in Solin that she'd push through everything, like she always did, and come out smiling. So I prayed for her, again and again, knowing that there was little chance anyone would answer me. 

She was quiet, for some time, before her sleep became restless, fidgety. She'd roll a little, as if to escape the blankets for cool air, or bury deep down for warmth. Just like her fever, it came and went as hours went on without rest for myself or many maids. There were fits of nightmares and brief waking periods. Not once did I manage the chance to hear her speak or get a word out of my own.

"How is she?" I turned and spotted Velken in the doorway, disheveled and exhausted just as I was. 

"The same." I shook my head and set aside a rag, tucking Solin into the blankets and furs to keep her warm, she'd begun to shiver. 

"What do you think brought this on?" He asked, entering and walking to the foot of the bed. "Last I saw her like this she was nearly dying of infection from her wounds."

"It isn't like before, she's stronger." I said, giving his shoulder a reassuring pat as I stood to stretch my tired legs. "Solin will pull through."

"She always has." Velken said, taking a seat and hanging his head. "I have an impending fear that I'll lose her. And before you say anything or father me, you need to hear me out."