Chapter 3

The decision didn't come quickly to Roberto, but the agonizing cry of the child was growing weaker and its body was limp. However, leaving his brother behind was not an option. They both needed medical attention, and the pressure continued to pile onto Roberto's shoulders. Time was limited.

Roberto wasn't an experienced problem solver. His older brother always took control of situations like this. His breathing was rapid, and the responsibility was driving him insane. He took a deep breath to bring back his composure, and began searching for a better option than leaving someone behind.

He looked over the side of the cliff. If only someone were here. 

He thought back to the day before, and remembered all the people that he and Aldo had passed along the path. He began to run down the mountainside, leaving his brother behind for now. He could only hope that there was someone close by.

He had been trained his entire life to conserve his energy while sprinting, but his mind was too cluttered to remember how. It wasn't long before his head started to pound and his fatigue hit him again like a brick wall. The only thing keeping him moving was his adrenaline, a helping hand pushing him forward at a steady pace.

He sped around a bend in the path, and almost knocked a man off of the cliff. "Slow down, signore! What is going on?"

"I would tell you but I am still figuring it out myself." Roberto replied. "Take this child to the village. Get it care at the infirmary." The man took the child and nodded his understanding. The man turned to run but Roberto placed his hand on his shoulder. "Excluding the doctors, no one is to see this child but me. Is that understood?"

"Si signore." The man then took off down the mountain as Roberto fled the opposite direction.

Pain spiked from the back of his head and warm liquid trickled down his neck. Roberto felt as it dribbled onto his tunic.

He ignored the blood. He needed to help Aldo.

With the thought of his brother bleeding out due to him being unable to reach him in time, he pressed on. He crashed through the wall of fatigue and found a new source of energy from deep within him.

He was exhausted, but he refused to let the dark shadow of unconsciousness creep up on him.

His large strides seemed to slow. His lungs were on fire.

Just the next ridge.

Or the next one.

Or the one after that.

He collapsed, his vision turning black. He felt hands on his shoulders, and he swung his arms into the darkness, hoping to connect his fist with a jaw. "Stop, you are safe now." The strange voice was calm and reassuring. He tensed at the nearness of the voice, but it was so soothing that he soon relaxed and was comforted by the presence. It drifted into his ears and lulled him to sleep, erasing Aldo's state from his mind.

Roberto woke, and the pain he had before was gone. He waited for his eyes to adjust to the brightness of the room he was in before scanning his surroundings. The room was white.

Too white.

The walls, the ceiling, the floor – they didn't have a speck of dirt on them. The room was empty except for the bed he was lying on. He didn't think much of it at first, but then it hit him.

The room had no windows. No door.

He shot upright.

No lights. How could the room be so well lit?

"Welcome back Roberto." He leaped from the bed onto the floor. He checked under the bed, scanned the walls.

There was no one in the room with him. He ran his hands through his hair, his breath becoming ragged. Was he going insane? 

"You have a meeting to attend."

The wall in front of him split open, and a women stood in the opening. Her dark hair framed her pale skin, with her yellow eyes standing out amongst her bland face. He felt the urge to run past her and get as far away from this place as he could, but he stayed calm, keeping his face free of emotions. "Meeting?" She motioned for him to follow her, before turning and walking away. He was hesitant to move, but he knew he didn't want to stay in this room.

She led him into the hallway. He kept an eye out for an exit, but each door looked the same. She opened a door to her left and they entered a large room. The only furniture was two plush seats facing a throne. He tried to tune out the voice inside of his head telling him to run. "I suppose I get the throne?"

She smiled at him. "You are as funny as told."

Before he could respond, Aldo entered the room, and he felt some of his fear evaporate at the sight of his brother. Roberto started to move towards him, but the woman stopped him as she gestured to the seats.

He took his seat and Aldo greeted him. "Nice to see you are alive. Now, please tell me you know what is happening?"

The brothers exchanged puzzled looks in silence.

The two women who had shown them in now walked behind the throne, and opened two large doors. Roberto looked at Aldo with desperation, but Aldo was staring straight ahead.

The floor shook as a giant of a man moved towards them. Roberto felt his stomach leap into his throat, and grasped the arm of his chair in support. The man flopped into his throne. "The legends tell of two men who are to find and raise the warrior," his guttural voice boomed. "Aldo and Roberto, not the names I had expected, but interesting enough."

"And yours?" Aldo spoke. His voice was steady, and his face was calmer than Roberto had ever seen it.

"I have no name, but I am sure you have other questions, so ask."

"No name? Preposterous!" Roberto's voice squeaked. He didn't know how Aldo was so calm. "Just tell us who you are, and tell us why we have been brought here." His voice shook, and it was clear on the man's face that he knew Roberto was fear-stricken. Aldo grabbed his arm in an attempt to calm him down. Roberto gazed into his brothers eyes and saw no fear in them. Roberto shut his mouth, knowing Aldo could hide his fear better than he could.

"It is true, I have no name. I am not one of your kind. I am simply an informant. As for your other question, you are here to fulfill your destiny. To raise the warrior who will save your people from the Outsiders. The prophet has been found, and is now able to assist you in your century-long fight. They must be trained, and you will be their teacher, at least for now. Do you have any other questions?"

The men remained silent.

"Excellent. You are to train her as soon as possible."

"The child is a girl?" Aldo asked.

"Yes."

"Signore, you do know that women are not trained to fight?"

"I am quite aware." The man's voice was stern.

"Signore-"

"Whether the prophet is male or female is not an issue. Without the prophet trained, you will all perish. Do you understand?" Aldo said nothing. "If she is not prepared for what she is to accomplish, there is no hope left for the Sanctum."

Aldo and Roberto looked at each other, and then back at the man.

"Now I will ask you again, do you understand?"

They nodded.

"You are to raise her as your own," the man said, before telling them, "and she is to be called Andrea."