Chapter Sixteen

"So that's what you told him?" Claire asked.

"That's it." I shrugged.

"Wow, I can't believe it's already over," Ashley shook her head.

"But it's not awkward between us," I shook my head. "I think we both knew that we just weren't meant to be."

"Meant to be? It's highschool." Sam added.

"You know what I mean."

It was a week later and I was filling in the girls on everything. We were walking to the cafeteria and they were disappointed on how short and sweet the story was.

"I just want to go eat!" I moaned.

My friends all smirked at each other, clearly over something I didn't know about. I wasn't stupid; I knew they were hiding something from me.

"Okay, spill it." I sighed.

"Nope," Claire shook her head, "You'll see."

I continued my walk to the cafeteria thinking of what they meant. Was it good or was it bad? Judging by their facial expressions, I was pretty sure it was something that could be considered good, but it would make me feel awkward either way. Entering the room and walking to our table, I saw him sitting there.

"Hey, Brandon." Ashley grinned, laughing at something I didn't know of.

"Hmm, I wonder why you're sitting here?" Claire said in a plastic voice as she played along.

"Yeah, it'd be nice if you all shut up," he smiled. "But I came to ask a question."

"Oh, I wonder who this question is for?" Sam faked excitement while I rolled my eyes.

Brandon turned to me and ignored my stupid friends. For the past week, we were on speaking terms and he was finally comfortable around me, like he was with everyone else. We texted and actually talked in person a lot.

"So, it might have taken me five months, but I think this time I finally got it right," he grinned, looking at me. "Paige, will you be my girlfriend?"

And he really said, smooth and clear. No hesitation, and looking me in the eyes, and in person. Never in my wildest dreams would I think that Brandon and I could be the way we were, actually talking and becoming close. I had just gotten out of a relationship, but I didn't have to think about it. Like he said, the timing was finally right.

"It sure took you long enough!" I playfully punched him in the arm, "but yes!"

"YES!" Claire shouted.

Claire, Sam, and Ashley started enthusing all at once how cute Brandon and I were, and how excited they were that we were finally dating.

"Did you guys know about this?" I interrupted their girl gossip with a smirk on my face,

"Maybe..." Ashley said smugly.

But I didn't care. The future Abercrombie model was finally mine.