Chapter 22

I looked over the battlefield. Bodies were scattered all over the valley, dead. Eagles flew over the area below and behind Ravenhill, taking care of the last of the escaping orcs. The battle was over and we had won.

I glanced towards the bottom of Ravenhill and saw Thranduil slowly coming. I shuddered slightly and started towards the frozen lake. I knew Fili and Kili were okay since they had Tauriel with them. I wasn't too sure about Dwalin or Bilbo, but I knew Dwalin was a skilled fighter, so both would be alright. I also knew the company would be making their way up here to find their friends, so I decided to check on Thorin.

When I got to the lake, I couldn't hold back my smile. Azog lay in the middle of the ice, dead, with Thorin's sword in his chest. I looked towards the edge of the ice and saw the dwarf king looking over the battlefield. He turned after a moment and suddenly collapsed.

"Thorin!" I said. I jumped onto the lake and ran to him. As I passed Azog, I pulled Thorin's sword out of him. I knelt down beside Thorin, which resulted in another throb of pain, and shook him slightly. "Thorin. Thorin, wake up."

He turned his head and looked at me with fading eyes.

"Aeareth," he said with a small cough.

I suddenly noticed blood staining his shirt. I pulled back his coat slightly and saw that wound had nearly gone all the way through him. I grimaced and looked at him.

"Let's get you off the ice," I said quietly. Carefully, I got Thorin to his feet. I practically dragged him across the ice since he was so weak. When we got to solid ground, I laid him down so he sat up slightly against a rock. "I'm going to find Tauriel," I told him. "She healed Kili back in Laketown, she can heal you, too."

I started to stand, but stopped when Thorin grabbed my wrist.

"There won't be time. It is too late for me, Aeareth. The only thing I would like is if you stayed. There are some things I must tell you." I nodded slowly and sat down beside him. "Aeareth, I am sorry for what I have done. You were only concerned for me and I pushed you away. After everything you had done for me and my people.

"Since the beginning of this quest, you have done nothing but help us. No matter how much we glared or distrusted you after we found out you were traveling with us, you never left our side. You helped us in so many ways and I was unable to see that. I was unwilling, before all of this, to accept your help that I gave Bilbo the mithril. I want you to know that I am eternally grateful for everything you have done and sacrificed for my kin. I understand why you never truly told me of your family."

I froze.

"You know?" He nodded. "How?"

"Dwalin told me while I was still under the dragon sickness, saying that you went against your own father to protect us. Dain also told me when I found him in battle and he told me that you had headed here to stop Azog. He was a little stunned to hear that the princess of Mirkwood was fighting alongside dwarves."

"Most people would be," I said with a small laugh.

He sighed and coughed a little.

"I only wished that we could have gotten to know each other better."

"Honestly, there wasn't much time to do that. Gandalf had me stay hidden for most of the trip." He nodded. I looked down at his wound again and sighed as a tear escaped my eye. "I wish there was more I could have done to help you."

"Aeareth." I looked up at his face. "You have done more than was ever expected of you. Before I go, I want you to do a few things for me." I nodded, waiting for him to continue. "For as long as you remain in Erebor, watch after my nephews. You know how they can be."