Chapter 8

I suddenly froze, the hairs on the back of my neck sticking up like crazy.

"Run avhem poshat (Run them down)!" a familiar voice says. "Tear avhem avo pieceuk (tear them to pieces)!"

Warg howls suddenly filled the air. I looked up the hill and saw Azog, the pale orc, sitting upon his white warg. I noticed that his left arm was now replaced by a blade. Orcs were riding down the hill on wargs, running towards us.

"Out of the frying pan," Thorin muttered.

"And into the fire," Gandalf finished. "Run! RUN!"

The company quickly took off down the hill. I waited for a moment, pulling out my bow. I jumped from tree to tree, watching the wargs chase after the dwarves, hobbit, and wizard. When I glanced ahead, I stopped. We were nearing the edge of the cliff. There was no where to go. I looked behind us again and saw more wargs. I growled in annoyance and fired an arrow at one a little further back. One warg caught my eye as it jumped over the company, then charged at Bilbo, who managed to pull out his sword just in time. The sword dung into the warg's skull, killing it. Bilbo looked stunned as the creature fell. A few more wargs came at them, but the dwarves quickly handled them.

"Up into the trees, all of you!" Gandalf ordered. "Come on, climb! Bilbo, climb!"

The company quickly made for the trees, jumping up to catch the branches. Bilbo hurried to join them, and grabbed his sword, but it was stuck in the warg's skull. I stared in horror as the wargs came closer and the hobbit was still on the ground.

"They're coming!" Thorin shouted.

I looked at Gandalf, who was at the same height as me in the tree though I was a few trees away, staying hidden. The wizard shook his head, telling me not to move.

Bilbo finally got his sword free and turned to see dozens of wargs charging. He quickly made for a tree and started to climb. I watched as wargs surrounded the trees the company were in. I caught movement out of the corner of my eye, seeing Gandalf saying something to the top of his staff. I raised an eyebrow, but smiled when I saw the moth fly away.

My attention was suddenly brought back to the wargs. They all turned to look at Azog and his white warg.

"Azog," I heard Thorin say in shock.

"Nuzdigid? Nuzdi gast? (Do you smell it? The scent of fear?)" he asked tauntingly. "Ganzilig-i unarug obod nauzdanish, Torin undag Train-ob (I remember your father reeked of it, Thorin son of Thrain)."

"It cannot be," Thorin said, pain in his voice.

"Kod, Toragid biriz (That one is mine)," the pale orc said after a pause. "Worori-da (Kill the others)!"

The wargs ran forward, jumping up the bases of the trees, trying to get to the trapped company. The dwarves hung on for dear life as the wargs shook their trees, making them almost lose their grips. Each time, it seemed as though the wargs got higher and higher, closer to the dwarves. They broke off tree branches that were in their way, making it easier to get to the company.

"Sho gad adol (Drink their blood)!" Azog commanded.

I froze when I saw one of the trees start to tip over. The weight of the wargs smashing into the trees was causing them to uproot and fall. The dwarves that were trapped in that tree jumped into the next, joining some of their friends. The dwarves were forced to jump from tree to tree as they toppled over. Soon, the entire company was sitting in one tree, on the very edge of the cliff side.

I watched on, annoyance and feeling helpless as I sat by. I would not go against Gandalf's word, but watching the company was not helping anyone. Gandalf quickly reached to his side and grabbed a pinecone. I smirked as he lit it on fire. The wizard launched the pine cone to the ground, landing in front of the wargs, who jumped back in fear. The fire quickly started to spread and make a barrier between the tree and the attackers.