△05△

Kayla.

Nathan estimated that the car ride would take an hour in traffic, then another hour on the road to the woods. The ride wasn't unpleasant, but as crowded as the car was with supplies and people, it was hard to comfortably jam to the music. But I listened in on all the conversations around me, simply revelling in their happiness and feeling the 'rad vibes', as Nathan would call it. I sat between Sean, Rae and Sam, both of them plotting out all their plans for the weekend, like hikes and swims in the lake. I heard Jen, Sean, Will and Iris planning to get up early to take pictures of the sunrise, but judging by how they're all nightowls, they might just sleep in and forget about it. You could hear all about their plans because they were all sat in different places, and had to practically yell to speak to one another. Isaac and Ant planned to take hikes, too, but mostly just to take in the scenery and get away from anyone else for a while. Nathan hadn't really talked, as he was more focused on the road.
I turned around to where Ant, Isaac, Will and Iris were sitting. They were closest to all the snacks, so they sneakily reached their hands into greasy bags of Cheeto Puffs and Lays. Ant threw a puff into the air, then swiftly lunged forward in his seat in order for it to land in his mouth. He chewed loudly in definite satisfaction, prompting Isaac to unsuccessfully try the same trick.
"Wanna bounce me some chips?"
"Isn't that Brayden's thing?" Will raised an eyebrow as he reached back to all the bags, trying to find a new bag of chips. He dug deep into all of them, and as he was head-deep in one, he called out loudly. "If you're trying to steal Brayden's meme, I'm afraid I can't give you any."
"I just want chips, man."
Iris reached over to where Will was looking, and ripped a bag of chips he held limply out of his hand. She was still a bit petty that he and Ant had tried to run her over with a shopping cart, but still she decided to sit in the back with them and Isaac. Isaac was mostly concerned with pelting the back of Rae's head with puffs, however. Iris pulled the back open, releasing the pleasurable aroma of chips into the van, then poured some into my hands.
"If you spill and/or crush even a single chip back there, you're cleaning it up!" Nathan yelled from the front. Instantly, everyone erupted into a fit of laughter. Nathan hunched his shoulders, knowing that out of all of us, he was acting like the most mature one. We laughed at his uptight attitude, but Jen gave him a supportive slap on the back that assured we were supposed to have fun. Maybe he'd lighten up when we get to the campsite.
Jen squealed at the front of the van suddenly, causing Nathan to jump in his seat. She turned quickly to apologize, gave him a pat on the back, but returned to look back down at her phone with such intensity I thought she'd explode. Eugie looked over her shoulder with a confused glance, but looked back up to Nathan with a shrug.
"Jen? You good?" I called to her and leaned forward in my seat. She swiped around on her phone, tapping once in a while, until she finally gave a sigh of relief. A quiet, low hum came singing from the speakers throughout the van, and Jen sat back in her seat with relief. The song she had gotten so excited about had finally come on, and she made it clear on her animated face.
"Mhmm. I forgot this song was on our camping playlist." She smiled and slowly turned up the music's volume. It had a soft guitar lead-in, pleasing to the ear as one fell entranced by it. The others slowly finished off their conversations, one by one growing quiet as the music continued. Jen, excited for them to be listening, turned it up more. She hummed along to the words, feeling the music pulse through the van as everyone stopped to hear it. Although it was a kind of song I wasn't used to hearing, as I was mostly used to jamming to K-Pop and C-Pop music, this was a nice, relaxing change.
'And we all sit around the fire,
We feel a little warmer now
And we all sit around the fire,
We feel so much better now'
Jen was singing happily now, and Rae mumbled to me jokingly.
"I can't believe Jen invented talent."
Jen let out a stifled laugh, then stopped her singing. She was clearly embarrassed by the fact that they had all heard her, and was getting redder than a tomato in the face. She turned to punch Rae playfully in the leg, which made Rae bust out laughing.
"Isn't this from your iconic playlist?!" Sam yelled from beside me and practically deafened my ear. I threw my hand over their mouth to stop them, but they instantly licked my hand and I threw it back. It was already sticky, which made me wonder what the heck they had been eating. They gave me a cheeky smile, then sang the next lyrics at the top of their lungs. "And we all sit around the fire - Boii, this is from your playlist, Jen!"
"I knew it would come in handy someday...Plus I literally said it was from my playlist, you pleb." Jen then turned and punched Sam in the leg, but they just laughed together.
The best part of any trip or conversation with Sam, is that you can laugh at them and they'll laugh with you. I've heard when they play Skywars together, Sam is such a terrible teammate that Jen ends up dying for the wildest reasons - but usually, it's because Sam said 'behind you' seconds after Jen had already engaged in a fight.
I heard Sean humming along from beside Rae, and Nathan was drumming to the beat with his fingers on the steering wheel. Ant, Isaac and Will danced wildly in their seats, and Ris took it upon herself to film the whole thing and post it to her Snapchat for everyone to see. I joined Jen and Sam, even though I knew none of the lyrics, but the two gladly accepted me. Sam wrapped their arm around me and pulled me into a platonic embrace while they kept singing.
Nathan looked through the rearview mirror at me, and just his eyes on me made me stop singing and cock my head. He gave me a weird look, like he had never seen me do something like this before and was questioning if it was really me. I gave him a light shrug, wrapped my arms around Sam and sang the last couple lines of the song. Jen stretched her arms out and cheered from all the hype the song had given her, and quickly went to change to a new song that was equally exciting. Although the song was barely upbeat, the sense of friendship and bonding it gave us was swell and made us all smile. Even quiet little Eugie had sat up from her seat to watch us all in joy.
Sam didn't let go of me for the next couple songs, and we sang along to the music like that for quite a few of them. Jen eventually noticed our close embrace and squealed that she "loves Sayla".
Eventually, the boys in the back that had been dancing around fell into a deep sleep. Ris was leaned up against the window, and everyone else just kinda leaned on each other like fallen dominos. Isaac snored the loudest, but it was barely noticeable over the music. Jen showed a sleepy Sean pictures of her cat, Maggie, but he was so exhausted that his eyes were closing midway through them. She silently slipped her phone from his hands and showed the pictures to Eugie instead. Before long, the music was dying down, and everyone but Nathan and Jen were falling asleep. I'd tell you what they talked about, but I soon closed my eyes too and let the night end on quiet music and snoring friends.

Pretend this went up yesterday gtg day 3 will be up later
-Jen