△02△

Sean.

As soon as the idea for the camping trip was pitched, everyone in the house dug into their suitcases. The girls, more specifically Jen and Ris, went off on a tangent regarding something about "aesthetics", but I shrugged it off. It only took me a couple minutes to set up my mini-suitcase for the camping trip – clothes, toiletries, camera essentials –, while the girls took what felt like hours. I set my bag for the trip beside the door, then found myself flopping onto a couch in the empty living room.
"How do you forget an SD card, when you're coming to bloody California!"
"I didn't ask for your input, IRIS."
I heard the half-playful, half-arguing voices screaming above me, Will and Ris were going at each other about their cameras. I heard Jen shout something about borrowing, but was quickly shot down by Ris, followed by a groan by Will.
Sammy hopped down the stairs, their bag trailing behind them. They held one hand out for their phone, which was connected to the earbuds in their ears. The music was blasting, almost loud enough to hear the lyrics being spouted. They were dancing around on the wooden floor to the booming song when they noticed me, sat on the couch and watching the bizarre dance moves. They stopped abruptly and paused their music as soon as they did.
"This is embarrassing. I didn't see you there." They took their phone and slid it into their back pocket, then tossed their bag near the door. They lumbered over to the couch across from me, still clearly humiliated. When they sat down and looked at me, I gave off a reassuring laugh. They shook their head and crossed their arms in defeat.
"You've got some good dance moves." I gave them a goofy smile, but they stared at me with a look that could kill. Their cheeks flushed and they looked away. I couldn't help but laugh again, as the image of them dancing around came to my mind once more.
"Stop laughing at me, Sean!" Sam shouted, reached for a small pillow, and hurled it my way. I couldn't contain my laughter as I tried to dodge it, and I instead fell over on my side. They threw more pillows, trying to shut me up, but was in no way successful. I just kept laughing my head off.
"What did Sam do now?" Rae called from the top of the stairs. I heard Sam jump to their feet and run across the room, presumably towards the stairs. I heard their feet slide on the smooth hardwood, then a noisy thud to follow it. Rae raced down the steps, her laugh growing louder as the seconds went on. I was finally able to compose myself, and I stood up to look at the two. Sam was lying on the floor, arms extended in a way that suggested they had just fallen.
"I was just telling Sam that they look cute with all those dance moves."
Then, Sam lost their shit.
"Jen!" They screamed, then ran upstairs with such startled speed and an ear-rupturing squeal.
"Well–"
"You trigger Sam."
"I what?"
"You tri– you know what, nevermind. Too much to explain. Where's Ant? Nathan?" Rae was suddenly persistent to get off the topic, although I was eager to ask what the heck triggering meant. She paced the room and bit at her nails, then finally Anthony came up from a set of stairs leading to the basement. It was a relief to see him, especially during an awkward passing moment. He broke the silence as he dropped his bag down to the floor.
"The Antster is ready to roll!" He shouted enthusiastically. It was as if he'd been intricately planning this trip for ages, and was peppy to have it come into play. He had a pair of sunglasses on his head, ready to slide over his eyes if needed. "But we have an issue. A very small one, kinda."
Rae, seeing the opportunity to include herself in conversation again, perked her head up towards Ant. It was common for her to space out at times, but she managed to bring herself back in every once in a while. With a curious look, she spoke up.
"What kind of problem?"
Ant scratched the back of his head as he formulated his sentence. He lightly kicked his bag like he was feeling around for something he needed, but found it basically empty save his clothes.
"We don't have tents or sleeping bags. I thought there might be something of use in the basement but a–"
"Didn't they tell us not to go into the basement, though?" Rae commented. The other girls had gathered at her side, and Will was slowly coming down the stairs. Sam stood at the top, head poked out to see if the topic of their dancing had gone away. I could tell that Ant had just remembered the one rule the house owners gave us, and now here we are, waiting for him to find an excuse. He shot Rae a bright smile as it occurred to him.
"We all know I'm desperate for a little adventure. And that basement was creepy as hell. But really, all there is down there is a broken washing machine and shady bucket in the corner."
The group laughed to themselves, imagining said shady bucket.
"I guess we're going to have to go to Costco or something. We can get tents and any food we need."
"I think we should rent a car first?" Kayla pitched. Someone out of the group suggested just an Uber, but she was persistent. "Well, that way we can drive where we want and load up the back with all our stuff. Ubers will cost more in the long run, don't you think?"
Everyone looked at each other to confirm, then nodded their heads. Besides, no one wanted to argue with Kayla. She's usually the voice of reason, so she'd always win regardless.
Ant slipped his phone from his pocket, listening to Kayla's suggestion. Nathan hummed to himself and lightly nudged her side, assuring her that, once again, people had listened. She glanced up and grinned. Across from them, Isaac stood to Eugie's left and tapped her right shoulder. He smirked when she turned to see who it was, and frowned when she saw no one.
"Pinche Isaac."
"No fui yo!"
Watching all my friends interact with each other, from assurance and kindness to playful banter, made me smile. It was the reassuring feeling that we'd all be positive on the camping trip, and we'd all be connected. It's a chance to get away from all the stress of YouTube, and just take the time to enjoy the company of close friends.
Jen noticed me spacing out, thinking of all the positives, and shot me a thumbs up. It was really at that moment, that I realized I was about to have the adventure of my life.