Chapter 37

I couldn't believe he told. I stared at him hard, so confused and shocked that the gun leaving my temple made no impression. He told, was all I could think. He let him win. Why would he do that?

Did he want me to come out of this alive? Did he think he was doing me a favour? Surely he could see that Frank wasn't going to let any of us go? And even if by some miracle he did, did he think I would want to live in a world where his goddamned, irritating, godforsaken face wasn't anywhere to be seen? Did he? Did he think I wanted to live?

But wait...what had he said? Howard Williams? As in Charles Williams' Howard? But I had no time to think.

"No!" I screamed. "No, Mr. Rodwell, no! What are you doing?" I thrashed against the bonds. "No!"

He ignored me once again. And so did Frank. If I hadn't been so infuriated and scared, I would have been disgusted at the role I was playing in their little game.

Frank came out from around my back, the gun touching his lips lightly. "Howard Williams? Angelica's brother? Why would he have it? You wouldn't give it to him, would you? Hmm?" There was a thoughtful look in his eyes, muddied by the glitter of triumphant glee.

"I didn't. Christopher did. You see, a woman was killed and we thought you had something to do with it--"

"Did you now?" Frank interrupted, smirking.

Mr. Rodwell looked like he wanted to roll his eyes. "Can you blame us?"

Frank shrugged. "Maybe not. Please proceed."

"So, we thought you had a hand in it. You and Frederick Bosley. And Howard was devastated." His voice was barely emotional as he spoke, like he was reciting a learned version of a tale. "He was supposed to keep an eye on her, keep her safe. But he failed. Christopher feared he would kill himself if we didn't do something. So he gave the flash drive to him. Maybe just to make him feel useful again," he shrugged his shoulder, "to make him come out of his misery. But you can see how it was a good plan, can't you? We knew you would be searching for it. But why would you search it with the Williams? The dead girl's family. They would never want anything more to do with this."

"They were helping you?"

Mr. Rodwell inclined his head. "In as much as they could. Not so much, but we figured Angelica would hide the drive somewhere where her family would be able to follow the signs. She was always close to them. So Christopher and the Williams' figured out her clues together step by step and found it under her grandfather's headstone."

Oh...So that's why Christopher had come to their house that day so long ago. That's what he meant when he had said that they had found it. And that's why Jenny broke down. Because her daughter's work was finally found.

Frank smiled. "Yes... Angelica was always a clever girl. Pity what happened to her."

"You killed her," Mr. Rodwell stated dryly.

Frank sighed. "Yes, I suppose you are right. I did pull the trigger. But it was she who killed herself. She should have known better. She should have known not to play with my heart. Like I said before," he stated, turning back and winking at me. "Women. They always want to be the hero." He shook his head. "Such a waste."

"Angelica got to you, Frank. She was a hero. Or at least, heroine."

Frank made a sour face. "Yeah, she did get to me, didn't she? But she paid the price. I always make everyone pay." He chuckled to himself.

"So, are you going to kill me now?" Mr. Rodwell asked.

"No," I almost sobbed. "Mr. Rodwell, no. Please!"