Disappear

She raced through the air, her face set with firm concentration. With their leader behind bars, she'd cut off the head of Cadmus, and she knew that they were flailing around, trying desperately to stay alive. She wasn't going to lose hope, and she wasn't going to let anything distract her from herself; she loved Mon-El, but she knew that he'd want her to look for him while also doing the work she taught him to do. It wasn't a betrayal to concentrate on other things, to sleep in her own bed, to leave her coat on the floor; it was not hallowed ground she could not walk on, but better still: pockets of energy she could draw from.

She landed in the DEO and walked down the stairs. "What else have you got?" She smiled, and Winn spun around in his chair, beaming uncontrollably.

"That's my girl!" He yelled, high-fiving her as she moved to stand next to him, "That was amazing, Kara!"

She smiled, "Thanks, Winn."

"Alright so we have nothing yet, but I do have some popcorn in the microwave..." He grinned and she smiled,

"I demand that you go get it." She said teasing him, to which he laughed and jumped up, running to the break room.

She smiled and sat down in his chair. She sighed and stared up at the ceiling. Her eyes traveled to the moonlit balcony across the hall, and she paused for a moment. She remembered her bleary dream, the image of Mon-El standing atop those stairs and staring out into the black abyss of the night. She took a deep breath and closed her eyes. Maybe if she fell asleep she'd dream of him again.

Suddenly, there was a loud beeping from Winn's computer, and she turned to see a red light blinking on the screen. She jumped up and squinted, looking at where it was.

She jumped into the air. She flew out of the DEO just as Winn came back with the popcorn.

"Kara--?" He frowned, then he saw the the computer, "--oh crap!" He fumbled with his headset and finally getting it on spoke again, "Kara! Kara, I'm back! I've got you; tell me what you see when you get there!"

"Will do." she called darkly over the wind.

* * *

He could hardly see where he was going. Everything was dark. His face was numb, his feet stumbling through the maze of tunnels. His breath was labored, his head was foggy. All he knew was he had to get out of there.

He came to a door, and fumbled with the keycard he'd stolen off a guard who hadn't been looking. The metal lifted slowly, and as soon as he could, he dove under it. He used the key on the other side to close it behind him. He sprinted forward. He came to another door, and he did the same as the first one.

Beyond it, there were two guards. They began shooting at him. He dove forward, knocking one against the wall. He blurred over to the other one, took his gun, and bent it in half. The man's eyes filled with terror, and he had a sudden, sick, rush flow through his body.

He grabbed the guard's face in one palm, and slammed him against the control panel of the next door. The metal barrier creaked open slowly, and he realized it was the last one in his way.

Against his skin, he felt the midnight air. As he stepped outside, the desert stars bent down to kiss him. He ran up the slope outside the base's doors, and fell to his knees. He inhaled the first breath of a newly freed man. He closed his eyes and felt himself falling. He knew he needed to keep going, but all he had was spent inside those haunted walls. He fell onto his hands, and watched as his heavy breaths moved the sand beneath him.

He fell onto his side, and looked up. As the world went dark again, an angel came down from the heavens, a red cape flowing about them, and he watched as they landed. They stood in front of him, and faced an army of his oppressors, leaving the building to chase after him. He looked up, and saw through the night, clear blue eyes, coming to lead him home.