Defeated

Her sensible shoes clicked softly against the cement floor. She kept her eyes forward. She was usually one to be scared whilst walking through maximum security prisons, but today, she had something else keeping her safe from fear; there was something inside of her trying desperately to keep her warm, before it burned her alive.

She stepped into the visitor's room, and looked down the aisle, searching for the woman he was hear to see. She spotted her and she walked slowly over. She sat down across from her and picked up the phone, putting it to her ear as the prisoner did the same.

"Kara Danvers," the woman smiled, while Kara looked stony.

"Lillian Luthor." She said tartly.

"I have to say," Lillian sat back in her chair, "you're quite the last person I was expecting to see here."

"Well you got a notice beforehand, so I doubt it was really a surprise." Kara snapped, her nose twitching.

"Well," Lillian smiled, "what can I do for you?"

Kara gripped the phone tighter, "You know why I'm here." she growled.

"No, I'm sorry," Lillian leaned forward, close to the glass, "you'll have to tell me."

Kara banged her phone against the glass, making Lillian jump, "Don't play games with me!" Kara hissed, bringing the phone back to her ears, "Tell me where he is."

Lillian smiled that wicked smile again and leaned back in her chair, "Who'd have thought you'd come crawling back to beg me for some useless alien freak."

"He's not a 'freak'" Kara snapped, "Now tell me where you've got him hidden and maybe I can make your life a bit more comfortable in here."

"Hm..." Lillian thought, "no."

Kara breathed in heavily, and held her forehead in her hand. "But perhaps if you did me a little favor-"

"-No." Kara interrupted, "I will not be doing anything for you."

"Then you'd better kiss your little Daxamite prince goodbye." Lillian snapped, leaning close to the glass and spitting the words violently at Kara.

"Goodbye." Kara said, eyes welling up.

She stood, hanging up the phone aggressively. She stormed away, but she could still hear Lillian Luthor's voice in her ear saying,

"I know you can hear me," the smile evident in her voice, "so, if you change your mind, I'll be here, awaiting your response on the edge of my seat."

Kara brushed past the guards and ran out the front door. She walked out into the heavy parking lot, the sun kissing her skin gently, making the wisps at the edges of her hair glow in heavenly light. She sprinted across to her car, feet hitting the pavement heavily. She fumbled with her keys and slid into her car.

Tears sprung heavily to her eyes, and she couldn't hinder them. She put her head against the steering wheel and began to cry. She suddenly remembered the first time she'd been with him in a car; all the silly questions he'd asked, and the bright look in his eyes as he observed traffic signals and the buildings above his head.

The phone buzzed in the cup holder next to her. She jumped away from the steering wheel and closed her eyes, leaning back against the headrest. She snatched up the phone and answered, hearing her sister on the other end of the line.

"Kara?" She asked gently.

Kara sniffed and wiped her nose, "Yeah,"

"How're you doing?" Alex's sympathetic voice should've been soothing but it wasn't; not this time.