Chapter 24: New Invites and Secrets

TRIGGER WARNING:
    -Self harm is mentioned in this chapter
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
     "They seriously made you eat that?" Alex asked Tony in awe. We were sitting at our lunch table, talking about Tony and his adventures in Australia. There was no Duke to be found though. It's almost been a week since the argument and Duke and I haven't made contact with each other. I wonder if we're still going to prom together. And junior prom is almost here. At Clayton High we have prom in the spring for the juniors.
    "Yeah, according to my coach alligator has protein and is good for us," Tony clarified for Alex who was still staring at Tony in awe, mouth gaped. Alex had his arm slung around Nicky's shoulder. Nicky didn't looked tense or looked like she wanted to rip Alex's arm off. Deep down inside I was fan-girling for Nicky because I want her and Alex together. And then you got me. The lonely potato.
    "Did you have swooping season?" I asked Tony.
    "What's swooping season?" Matt asked, sounding interested.
    Tony slung his arm around my shoulders casually. I looked at Nicky, Alex, and Drake who looked shocked. They looked around the cafeteria to see if Duke was down here. They put on slightly relaxed faces when they didn't see Duke down here. Although I could care less what Duke says I don't want anymore problems. "Swooping season is when the magpie birds come down and start attacking what they see. They mainly attack humans," Tony said laughing. "My buddies and I stayed in our dorms watching innocent people get attacked by the birds outside," Tony finished.
    "That sounds awesome and painful at the same time," Drake said, eating his cup of yogurt. Because we all got to school early today, we decided to hang out in the cafeteria and eat breakfast.
    "If Delaware had that season I would like the birds to attack the teachers and people I hate the most," Alex said with a spark of evil in his eyes.
    "Yeah, I don't think thats how it works," I said to Alex who still looked interested in the idea.
    Tony still had his arm around me. It made me feel better having him next to me. While everyone at my table went back to talking to each other Tony and I used this opportunity to catch up with each other. "I really missed you Tony," I said as I looked up at him smiling. He could sense that I was sad. Tony was good at figuring out people's emotions.
    "What's bothering you Blondie," Tony said as he ruffled my blonde hair.
    I took a deep breath in. "Well-"
    "Hey, Drake, can I borrow your trig notebook. I left mine at home and I need to stu-who are you?" Duke asked rudely, pointing a finger at Tony. Duke eyes Tony's arm that was around me.
    I shimmied out from under Tony's arm and sat there awkwardly with everyone else. "Uh, Duke, this is an old friend of mine and Nicky's. This is Tony and he's from Austra-"
    "Can I have your notebook?" Duke asked Drake not caring anymore.
    Drake mouthed 'dude' at Duke, knowing that he was being rude. "Um, I don't know who you are but you don't have any right to interrupt Val while she's talking," Tony said standing up for me.
    "Did I ask what you thought, pretty boy?" Duke asked, getting mad.
    I stood up and walked in front of Duke. I slapped Duke right across the face, leaving him and the rest of the cafeteria speechless. "You have no right to talk to anyone like that. Especially me!" I shouted. I looked around, noticing there were eyes all on me. I looked back up at Duke who looked speechless. I pushed through him and ran out of the cafeteria, down to my locker. Duke doesn't have any right to interrupt me. And why does he care who Tony is? It's not like Duke cared about me like a friend. I opened my locker to see my little purse full of my necessities that I may need. As I opened my locker I felt my legs getting numb. I quickly opened it held onto the door, grabbing my pills from my purse. I took out my water bottle and swallowed the pills. I forgot to take them when I woke up this morning. I looked down the hallway to see Duke standing there, staring at me. He started walking towards me but I closed my locker and ran into the bathroom. No more, Duke. No more.
    "So that's why he's having a problem with you?" Tony asked as he held my hand in his. We were walking across campus since we had a free period now. I explained to Tony why Duke was acting the way he was acting before, not wanting Tony to think it's his fault.
    "Yeah, but I'm not going to let him bother me anymore," I said as I looked down at the ground.
    I felt Tony stopped walking as I jolted backwards, my hand still in his. I turned around to face Tony who was blushing a little bit. "Um, Val," Tony started. I looked at him, giving him my full attention. Tony looked up at me with a smile on his face, still holding my hand. "Listen, I know I just came back from Australia out of no where and I know it's coming up soon, but do you want to be my date to junior prom?" Tony asked me, grinning.
    I gave him a small, weary smile, making his smile fall. "Duke sort of asked me already. But, I'm not sure what's happening between us," I answered.
    Tony looked down at the ground, a little embarrassed. I felt bad that I couldn't give him a straight forward answer due to the problem going on between me and Duke. Tony looked up at me with a lined smile. "Okay, but I'll make sure I get you as my date," Tony said winking at me. I smiled at him and didn't say another word to him.
    "And he says that Wonwoo and Mingyu are the perfect ship ever!" Nicky said as she sat on the floor next to her locker, talking about all the wonderful things her and Alex have to talk about. "I mean when you meet someone that ships Meanie, you know you guys are going to be more than friends," Nicky said as she texted away on her phone. "Who would've known he would like K-Pop?" Nicky asked happy.     I slid down the locker and sat next to her, pointing a finger at me. "This gal," I said winking at her. She gave me a confused look. "So, the day that I went to Alex's house to tutor him we wound up talking for a while. And he wanted to get to know you better. So he asked about K-Pop and I introduced him into the diamond life," I said sounding proud of getting another person to join the fandom.
    Nicky lunged at me, hugging me. "This is why I'm happy that you're my friend!" Nicky said as she sat herself up again. "So, has Duke tried to bother you at all since this morning?" Nicky asked.
    "No," I answered. Nicky nodded. "But, Tony asked me to prom," I added.
    Nicky's eyes widened. She turned her attention towards me with a worried smile. "And you told him no, right?" Nicky asked.
    I shrugged. "I told him that Duke asked me already but I wasn't sure about what's happening between me and Duke," I answered.
    Nicky sighed and stood up, leaving me on the ground confused. I stood up and gave her a confused look. "Valentina, listen, I understand what Duke was wrong. But, he makes you happy. And me and the four morons want to see you two go to prom together," Nicky said. I rolled my eyes and groaned. "Val, I love you and I love Tony. But, you remember our pack right?" Nicky asked referring to having no romantic feelings towards each other.
    I let out a sigh. "Yes, I remember. But, he could have been asking me to prom as a friend," I said trying to make her change her mind.
    "I don't think so, dude. Tony deep down inside likes you more than a friend," Nicky said. I blushed a little bit. "But, Duke makes you happy!" Nicky said shaking me by the shoulders.
    "Does it look like he's making me happy right now at the moment?" I asked Nicky getting frustrated.
    "No he's not, but you know that deep down inside that dummy really loves you," I turned around to hear Matt. He, Drake, and Alex walked up us to join in on the conversation.
    "He's really sorry," Alex said trying to make me change my mind.
    "Oh yeah?" I asked as I crossed my arms over my chest. They nodded and then went wide eyed, looking over my shoulder. "Fine I'm going to go find him right now and ask him," I said getting ready to leave.
    Drake grabbed my arm before I could move. I looked at him with raised eyebrows. "Maybe not this minute," he said panicky.
    I released m arm from his grip. "I want to go find out for myself, right now," I stated, moving away from them. When I turned around I saw something that would make me not want to forgive him. Duke kissing the bitch herself, Madison. I walked up them, shoving Madison away. She was about to say something but I put my hand up in her face. I faced a terrified Duke. Yeah, be terrified. "The guys just told me that you were really sorry. Is this how you show you're sorry?" I asked as I point to Madison.
    Duke looked really upset and apologetic. "Val, I-"
    "Duke, you can take her to prom," I finished. I walked away and back to the guys and Nicky to see Tony standing there. I stood right in front of Tony, biting my lip. "Tony, I've made my decision," I started. I turned around to see Duke standing there, worried about what I'm going to say. "I'll go with you to prom," I answered. Tony smiled at me and hugged me. I hugged him back, wondering if I should be regretting my choice. The bell went off for next class. I watched Duke push through Madison and go in the opposite way, away from our next class. Where's he going? Tony waves goodbye and I watch him go to his next class. The five of us stand there. "I'm regretting everything I just did," I said.
    Nicky and I turn to the three morons to see them looking at each other with worried looks. "What's wrong with you guys?" Nicky asked, sounding scared.
    Matt looked at them and grabbed me by the shoulders. "Val, you have to go and look for Duke! Please, you'll learn more about him this way! And you need to stop him," Matt said nervous.
    I shook my head, my eyes examining every part of him. "Matt, what's wrong?" I asked getting scared myself.
    "Val, please go look for him," Drake begged.
    "We'll just tell the teacher that you went home sick," Alex said. "Please, Val!" Alex pleaded. I looked at all of them and walked down the hall in the same direction Duke went. I checked in the cafeteria, then in the janitors closet only to find the lunch lady in there crying about her why her husband left her. Weirdest. Day. Ever. I even looked in the boys bathroom. I regret everything. I checked in the boys football room and didn't find him there.
    I kicked my foot into a locker out of frustration. Regretting that decision as my foot stung with pain. "God dammit why today out of all days!" I cried. I cleaned myself up and looked to my right to see a door that led right outside. There's the abandoned dance studio outside. No one uses it anymore ever since we created a new room in the building for the dance studio. I ran outside and across the football field to the the dance studio. Thank god for track. After running across the field I think I would need to take a nap.
    I take a deep breath and walk to the broken doors. "Duke!" I shout. I hear a yell of pain escape from the dance studio. "Duke!" I shouted again. I heard him yelling in pain again. I shoved the door open to have it fall on the ground. I screamed as the glass shatter. I couldn't see anything, so I took out my iPhone and turned the flashlight on. I heard more groaning in pain. And then I heard throwing up. "Duke," I calmly called. I shone the light around the studio to then find him in a corner, shirtless, pills all over the floor, and his arm bleeding. I walked closer to him. I shone the light on the ground and saw a blade covered in blood. He cuts? "Duke, what's wrong?" I asked.
    "Get out of here!" He shouted at him. He bent over into a garbage pail and started throwing up again. He grabbed the blade again and cut another slice on his arm. He cried out in pain.     "Duke, stop it!" I cried as I ran over to him. He was about to do it again until I grabbed his wrist. He fought against me and left a cut along my cheek. I didn't worry about because Duke needed help. "Duke, please stop," I cried as I looked him in the eyes. His eyes were puffy from crying. He fell into my and I brought him down onto the floor. I sat on my knees, hugging him. "Duke, I'm sorry," I cried into him.
    He dug his head into the crook of my neck and let tears fall. I tried my best not to cry. I texted Drake to come to the studio. I looked down at his wrist to see it bleeding. He does cut. I grabbed his shirt and tied it around his wrist to attempt to stop the bleeding. "Val, I don't...I don't..."
    "Duke, wh-what's wrong?" I asked growing nervous. His whole body went limp and all of his weight was on me.
    "Valentina!" I heard Drake's voice call.
    I turned my head to see Drake and Alex run over. "Drake! You have to call 911!" I cried. Alex helped lift Duke off of me.
    "Dude, we can't do that or they'll find out he's doing it again," Alex pleaded at Drake.
    Drake looked down at the ground to see the throw up, pills, and blood-covered blade. Drake looked unsure of himself. Drake let out a sigh and took his phone out. "I need an ambulance at Clayton High..." Drake began. I looked at Alex who looked mad and upset at Drake for calling the ambulance.
                                                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    I sat in an armchair in the waiting room. I was asleep, thinking about what I witnessed in front of me at the dance studio. Duke throwing up. Duke cutting himself. Pills all over the floor. Duke crying. "Val, wake up," Nicky called my name as she nudged my head with her shoulder. I rose my head off her shoulder slowly. My head was pounding. I touched the side of my face and felt a bandage there. Duke cut my cheek by accident with his blade. I looked at Nicky who was smiling at me. I let tears fall from eyes. "You okay, Va-"
    I threw myself into Nicky crying. "Nicky, this was all my fault," I cried.
    Nicky ran her hand down my head. "Calm down, Val." I looked up at Nicky to see her still smiling at me. "It's not your fault. The guys went to get us food. Go in and see Duke. I'm not sure if he's awake yet," Nicky said as she wiped away my tears.
    I nodded and got up from my seat. The nurse pointed to the room that Duke was in. I walked in there to see him still sleeping. His arm, that he cut, was bandaged up. I pulled a chair over to his bed and sat there next to his bed. I ran my fingers threw his soft, blonde hair. "Hey, Duke," I whispered. I pulled my hand back and stared at him. I let tears fall. "I'm really sorry, Duke," I said blatantly. I grabbed his hand and held it. I laid my head down on his arm and fell asleep.
    I felt fingers threading threw my hair. I opened my eyes slowly to look up at Duke, smiling with eyes closed. I closed my eyes again, ready to fall asleep. "You're giant head is crushing my arm, chica," Duke said all groggy. My eyes shot opened and I shot my head up. I stared at Duke smiling at me. My eyes were getting watery. "No more waterworks," Duke said smirking at me.
    "Oh you should talk," I said rolling my eyes. He sent me a confused look. "You were crying into my neck when you collapsed into me," I clarified for him. He nodded his head and looked away from me out of embarrassment. I threw myself on top of him, crying into his hospital gown. "Why didn't you tell me you were on medicine? Or that you cut?" I cried.
    "Chica, there's a lot of things I haven't told you yet," Duke chuckled. I lifted my self up from him and widened my eyes at him. He took his thumb and wiped my tears away. "You don't look pretty when you're crying, Val," Duke said trying to make me feel better. Duke let out a sigh. "So, where does my life story begin?" Duke asked himself. Oh my god. He's going to tell me about his past.
    "Duke, you don't need to tell me this minute," I said. He put his finger up to my lips, telling me to shut up.
    "Chica, you nagged me to no end trying to find out about my past and now you're telling me not to tell you?" Duke questioned with a smirk and raised eyebrow. I sigh and held onto his hand as I sat next to him on his bed. I gave him my full attention. "So, the people you saw in Kerry's book are my biological parents. My parents were everything to me. My dad died in a car accident when I was actually thirteen. Not ten. My dad was my best friend and because I lost him, I felt lonely. So, I started cutting myself. I was sent to the doctors and they took care of me," Duke said. I stared at his sad face but he was trying to hide it with a smile.
    "My mom met a coworker from her job and they stared going out. That man was Dylan's father. Dylan's dad proposed to my mom and they got married. We lived with them ever since they got married. My step-father came home drunk one night. But really drunk. He was on drugs and high. My mom tried to stop him but he had a gun with him, since he was a cop. He shot my mom right in front of me and Dylan," Duke continued. I saw that he wanted to cry but he couldn't. "I called the cops and they arrested my dad, sending me, Kerry, and Dylan to an orphanage. The people I live with today are not my real grandparents. They adopted me and Kerry and Dylan got adopted into another home. We took Mr. Franklin's last name as our own last name," Duke continued.
    I can't believe what Duke has gone through. I probably look pathetic when I mope around about my life. But Duke has had it way worse than me. The things he witnessed and had to go through. "Dylan has been after me because I called the cops on his dad."
    I clenched onto Duke's hand. "Was that Dylan's father who called you that night we were talking to each other from our windows?" I asked Duke. "Asking for money or something?"
    Duke nodded. "He wants my grandparents to bail him out," Duke said.
    "How much?" I asked referring to the bail money.
    $25,000," Duke answered. "I'm not having them use their money on him. Heck, they aren't even our real grandparents so why would I have them do that?" Duke asked. "That bastard can rot in is cell for all I care," Duke said heartlessly.
    "Duke, I'm so sorry," I said holding onto his hand with both of my hands.
    He tightened his grip around mine. "No, I should be the one saying sorry here," Duke said. "I kept ignoring you when you wanted to find out more about me even when you told me everything about you. And I'm sorry for snapping at you. And I'm sorry for being rude to Tony. The guys explained to me who Tony was," Duke apologized. "And, and I-I'm sorry for kissing Madison in front of you," Duke finalized his apologies.
    I hugged him tightly, feeling his arm wrap around my back. I buried my face into the crook of his neck. "It's okay, Duke. I'm sorry for slapping you and saying I won't go to prom with you," I apologized. I lifted myself up so that my face was close with his. Our noses barely touching.
    "So, is there any possible way you would be considering to maybe go to prom with me again?" Duke asked biting his bottom lip. "I understand if you don't want to go out with a hot mess like me. But,I-"
    "I'm sure Tony would understand," I said as I stared into his eyes. Duke kissed me. He took me by surprise and kissed me, but I pulled back. "Does this kiss mean nothing like the first one?" I asked remembering the day at the bakery.
    Duke shook his head and smiled. "This kiss and the kiss before this one meant everything. I was nervous and panicked. And I'm sorry for what I said about not being friends," Duke said, continuing the list of apologies. Duke kissed me for real this time.
    I smiled. "It's all good. Just promise me that you won't cut anymore," I begged. Duke kissed me. Oh my god.
    He ran his fingers through my hair again. "I promise. The pills you saw on the ground were to help with my depression. Clearly they made matters worse," Duke laughed. Duke fricken' kissed me.
    "Don't worry. You have me, Nicky, and the guys to help you! We're here for you and I'm a window away if you need help," I laughed at the thought of that. Duke really kissed me and said it meant something.
    "Thanks, chica," Duke said as he sat himself up. I sat next to him on the bed trying to remember something my grandparents told me before I left the house. I threw my head back and groaned. "Everything okay, Val?" Duke asked a little concerned.
    I looked at Duke with pursed lips. "My grandparents are going to be out of town for the weekend. They have some convention for bakeries. That means I'll be home alone for the weekend," I said thinking about the boring weekend planned ahead of me.
    "I'm going to be home resting if you want to take care of me," Duke said winking at me.
    "Maybe I'll find something else to do," I joking said. Duke deadpanned. "Sure, I'll help you out," I said smiling.
    "So the two of you kissed up and made up?" I heard Nicky ask from behind. I turned around to see Nicky and the other three morons standing by the door way. I smiled at them, still holding Duke's hand.
    "I'll take that as a yes," Drake said grinning at us.
    I'm happy Duke and I made up. It was really awkward between us, and I didn't like it. It felt weird. Now the next thing for me to do is explain to Tony how I can't go with him to prom. I wonder how he'll react to that. But, Duke kissed me. Duke Taylor kissed me for real this time. And I can't stop thinking about it...