Chpater 5: The Bad Boy and His Sister

It was a Saturday morning. Which means I can't sleep in. I normally help Gramma and Gramps around the bakery. Saturday's for us are normally busy since people go out to family stuff. I put on, once again, a pair of black jeans. I love black pants. They can go with almost anything. I wore a white short sleeve shirt with red stripes along with my black converse. Nothing too crazy. Just comfy and presentable enough to wear around people.
"Good morning, guys!" I greet Gramma and Gramps. Gramma was turning the open sign around for people to see and Gramps was watching the T.V. we have in the corner of the bakery.
"Morning, Val!" Gramps said with a wave and a smile. He went back to drinking his coffee and continued to watch the news. Callie jumped on the table and began to rub herself against Gramps free hand. Dexter walked in and sat next to me where I was standing.
"Oh, Val!" Gramma called out excitedly. I gave her a look of interest. "Duke has a younger sister named Kerry. She's five. Anne asked me if you could watch Kerry today while Franklin and Anne go out," Gramma said holding my arm with a pleading look on her.
Do they not trust Duke to watch her? Who am I kidding. Who would trust that guy? "Uh, sure! I can do that!" I said with a nervous teethy grin. Gramma kissed my cheek and went to the counter. "What time am I suppose to head over there at?" I asked looking up at the clock.
    "Anne said for you to go there around 5:00pm. It's their anniversary today so they're going out for dinner." Gramma continued to place the freshly baked cookies behind the glass so that people can see. I nodded and went to the kitchen to start baking. I told Nicky what was happening. Once again she wants every little bit of detail. This girl is crazy for a story or gossip.
    It was 4:50pm. I threw some fresh clothing on so that I didn't go over like a battered mess with flour all over me. I wore black pants, converse, and a white t-shirt. I put on my sweatshirt that had a green vest over it. I ran down the stairs and into the kitchen. I thought I would bring some chocolate chip cookies for the kid. Hopefully she likes cookies. Who wouldn't? I said goodbye to Gramma and Gramps and walked over to the Taylor's house. I pressed the doorbell. "Coming!" I heard Anne shout through the door. She opened it and smiled. "Val! Thanks for coming on such short notice! I know you probably had other plans to do on a Saturday but-"
    "It's okay, Mrs. Anne! Don't worry about it. Where's Kerry?" I asked. I heard foot steps jumping down the stairs.
    "I'm here! I'm here! I'm here!" I heard a small voice shout. I looked over Anne's shoulder to see the cutest child ever! She had loose wavy, blonde hair like her brother but she had light blue eyes. She was wearing a pink tank top with a hot pink tutu and light up Sketchers. She jumped off the last stepped and huffed. "Hi! I'm Kerry!" she said eagerly.
    "She would not stop talking about you once I told her that you were watching her," Anne said. I laughed.
    "Awe, how cute! Hi, Kerry! I'm Val!" I said bending over and crouching a bit to get to her level. She smiled and and let out a little giggle.
    "Alright then, girls!" Franklin said shuffling down the hallway. "We'll see you guys later!"
    "Kerry should be in bed by 7:30. Franklin and I should be home around 9ish," Anne said. They said goodbye and left the two of us standing in the hallway together.
    "So, Kerry. What do you want to do?" I asked a little curious. She is so different from her brother. I hope she doesn't follow after Duke. I'm afraid to see what would happen to a innocent little girl.
    "Do-do you want to p-play tea party?" she asked stuttering on some words. I nodded. She grabbed my hand and walked me into the living room. "Okay! You sit here!" She said excitedly. She pointed to a spot on the floor next to a coffee table. On it was a tea pot, tea cups, and plates set up on it. Guess this is a good time to bring out the cookies.
It's been about ten minutes already into the tea party. "Would you like some more tea?" I asked offering to poor her some more 'tea'.
"Yes please!" Kerry said holding her cup out. She took a sip from it, pinkie up. I took out my cookies and set them on the table. She stared at they cookies in awe. "Can I have one?" She asked whispering.
"You sure can," I answered. After about twenty minutes I heard the door open. I cocked my my head to the right. I looked at the clock which read 6:30. They're home already? I thought they weren't coming back until around 9:30. Crap! What if it's not them? My heart was racing. What do I do if it's not them?
"Kerry?" I heard a male voice call. It was Duke. Thank god.
"Duke!" Kerry shouted stammering over to her brother.
"Hey, Kerry!" Duke said lifting her up and spinning in a circle so she can pretend to fly. Her giggle was irresistible that I began to laugh. I walked out of the living room and into the hallway. "Huh? Val? What are you doing here?" Duke asked confused. "Where's Nana and Pops?" He gave me a smirk. "Did you come over to have some fun with me?"
I scoffed and rolled my eyes. "Sure once pigs start flying then we'll talk," I said crossing my arms. "Your grandparents asked me to babysit Kerry while they went out for their anniversary," I answered before he could freak out. He let out a sigh of relief and put Kerry down.
"You sure you weren't here to see me?" Duke asked with a smirk.
"No," I replied quickly.
He shrugged and walked into the living room to see our tea party and the cookies on the table. He walked over to the cookies and took a sprinkled one. "Don't mind if I do!" He said cheerfully.
"Sure, help yourself even though I didn't make them for you," I said crossing my arm. Kerry was grabbing on to my leg and I didn't realize it until I tried to walk. I felt a lot of weight on my right leg and looked down to see Kerry sitting on it and clinging to it. She laughed at me struggling to walk. I sighed and smiled. I continued to trudge my way into the living room with my right foot dragging behind me. "Okay, and we are in the living room," I said to Kerry.
"T-that was fun!" Kerry said giggling uncontrollably. "D-Duke! Can we watch a movie?" Kerry asked with puppy eyes towards Duke.
    Duke looked a little concern as to what movie she was thinking about. He raised an eyebrow. "What movie are we thinking about?"
    "Barbie: The Princess and the Popstar!" She said excitedly.
    "Okay, you and Val can watch it," Duke said speed walking away.
    I grabbed Duke by his shirt and pulled him back. He almost fell backwards but caught his balance. "She wants to watch it with you, too, dummy," I said with an evil smirk.
    "But I don't wanna sit through a-" Duke said but stopped when he saw Kerry about to cry. He changed his face from an opened mouth to a soft smile. "Okay, fine. Kerry, go grab the movie from the cabinet."
    "Okay!" Kerry hurried over to the cabinet. She tripped over her tea pot and fell on the floor with a loud thud. Duke and I flinched when we saw her fall. We walked over to her and crouched down. She turned around with a quivering lip and water eyes. I looked down at her knee to see it scraped it up. Ouch! "Wha-wha-whaaaa!" Kerry cried.
    "Uh-oh!" Duke and I said in unison. We looked a each other with worried faces.
    "I want, Nana!" Kerry cried.
    "Duke! Go get bandages or something," I said trying to not make the situation worse.
    "I-I don't know where the bandages are kept!" He said panicking. Wow. He's no help at all. "Uh, oh the kitchen!" Duke said jumping up and running into the hallway to the kitchen. He stumbled into a small table in the hallway. I flinched when I heard the thud. "I'm okay!" He shouted. Has he never been in this kind of situation with Kerry? By the looks of it, no.
    Kerry stopped crying when she felt my hand rubbing her back. "Shh. It's okay! Dukes going to look for a bandage," I said. I got up and picked her up. She wrapped her arms around my neck and then her legs around me. Her leg was bleeding so now I probably have a small splotch of blood on my white shirt. Great... I rocked back and forth. She calmed down.
    We heard pots and pans crashing against the floor. "I can't find the damn bandages!" Duke yelled. He slammed the the cabinet doors closed and ran upstairs almost falling. Kerry and I looked at each other and laughed at him. I walked over to the bottom of the staircase to see what was happening. Duke ran into the bathroom. He flung open cabinets looking for the bandages. We heard splashes probably coming from the toilet. "Dammit! Pop's appointments fell in the toilet!" Kerry made a disgusted face after she heard Duke say that. Thanks for the info, Duke. "Found them!" Duke ran back down the stairs with a box of bandages.
    I sat Kerry down on the couch and crouched down in front of her. "Doctor Val to the rescue!" I said playing doctors now. She laughed and held her leg. Duke played along and made a siren noise to mimic an ambulance. "Can I have a bandage please, nurse Duke?" I asked.
    "Nurse Duke?" Duke questioned with a bit of annoyance.
    "Haha! Dukes a girl!" Kerry laughed. I guess in little kid shows, females portray a nurse. I would think after watching an episode of Doctor McStuffins with her.
    Duke handed me the bandage and rolled his eyes. "Here you go, Doctor Val," he said crossing his arms and blushing a bit.
    I placed the bandage on her knee. "There you go! And do you know what good patients get?" I asked getting ready to grab another cookie.
    "What?" She asked with excitement written all over her face.
    "Another cookie!" I said with excitement to match hers. Her face had 'no' written all over it. I smiled worriedly at her.
    "I-I'm not hungry." Kerry yawned and her eyes began to droop. "I-I want to watch..." She began to hang her head and fell asleep.
    "Someone's tired," I said. I picked her up. She wrapped her arms and legs around me. I began to make my way up the stairs with Duke following. I was sort of hoping he would offer to carry her but knowing the jerk he is I didn't even bother. I made it to the top of the staircase and looked for a room that screamed 'Kerry'. I looked to my right and saw a white door that had a sign on it that said 'Kerry'. Well, that was easy! Duke was a gentleman and opened the door for me. "Thanks!" I said. He shrugged and walked down stairs. I rolled my eyes and went into her room. I placed her down on her bed and tucked her in bed. I scanned her room. Pink walls, pink rug, white dresser, white closet, pink comforter, white bed, pink canopy, a white fan with each Disney princess on each panel, and a pink lamp.
I saw a photo album, on her table, and decided to look through it being the snoop I am. It was pink and had The Taylor Family written on the top of it in hot pink sparkly letters. In the picture slot of the cover was a picture of Kerry as a baby when she was first born most likely. I opened it up to see a family portrait. It was twelve year old Duke holding newborn Kerry. I would suspect that the two adults sitting next them on each side would be their parents. Their mom had straight, blonde hair that was shoulder length. She had soft features and blue eyes like Kerry. She looked like a very kind lady. The man must be the father. He had blonde hair that was a little wavy and brown eyes like Duke. He looked like he had good humor. I flipped through the pages. I saw a lot of pics of Duke and his sister in different venues. Kerry aged as the book went on. Duke smiled a lot and looked like he had a good connection with his parents and Kerry. But there were more pictures of him and his grandparents than him and his own parents. "Val!" I heard Duke call from downstairs. I slammed the book closed and quickly walked out of Kerry's room.
    I ran down the stairs. "What's up?" I asked.
    "The sky's up," he replied trying to be funny. I shoot him a dead serious face and shook my head with disappointment. "Do you want anything to eat? I'm ordering Chinese food,'' he said.
    "Umm..." I really didn't know what to get.
    "You're too slow," he cut me off. "You can eat whatever I order." He dialed the phone and waited for someone to pick up. I shrugged and walked into the living room to sit down. White walls, two red couches across each other, a glass table between them, fireplace with a mantle that had photos, and other living room decorations. I sat down and turned my head to see Duke walk in. "I suspect that you didn't eat anything since I didn't see any dishes in the sink."
    I tried to think back. The two of us didn't eat anything and I was getting hungry. I didn't want to bombard their food cabinets. "Yeah, about that. I was actually planning on ordering pizza and I asked Kerry and she said she wasn't hungry. She only had one cookie today. And then she didn't want the other one when we were playing doctors. She said she wasn't hungry." I crossed my legs so that my legs were on the couch now. "Is she alright?"
    Duke cleared his throat and sat back. "Kerry has a bit of an eating disorder," Duke began with. Eating disorder? "She's never really like eating." Who wouldn't like eating? "See, after eating that one cookie you gave her, that would satisfy her hunger for the rest of the night. Doctors make her take this medicine in the morning that can last her a whole day of not going hungry. It sucks because she wants to eat the food that she thinks smells good but she's not hungry enough to eat it due to the medicine." Duke frowned.
    "Wow, that's a shame,'' I said feeling really bad. We sat there for a while talking about Kerry until we heard the doorbell go off.
    "Must be the food!" Duke said rubbing his hands together. He got up and grabbed money out of his wallet. He greeted the delivery guy and took the food from him and payed him. Duke closed the door and walked in with the bag. He took out two small containers of pork fried rice and a container of chicken balls. "Hope you're not one of those weird vegetarians," Duke said handing me the pork fried rice. He sat down on the couch next to me. He turned on the T.V. Hawaii 5-0 came on. I was actually cool with this show since I like it a lot.
"Hey, vegetarians aren't weird. Nicky is a vegetarian and she's not weird," I said defending all of you vegetarians out there.
    "Yeah but she's cool! Everyone else besides her," Duke joked. We opened our containers and began to dig in. He opened the container of chicken and took a piece. "Wow, these chicken balls are good!" He said eating one. He stopped and then laughed. "Haha, chicken balls."
    "Haha, very mature," I said rolling my eyes. "Can I have one?" I asked craving a little bit.
    "You should've asked when I was ordering the food, chica," he said eating another one. He looked at me and smirked.
    So that's how you want to play. I put my rice on the table and looked out the window. "Hey your grandparents are home," I lied.
    "Huh?" Duke looked at the window. I grabbed the container and jumped up from my seat to get to the other couch. "Hey! Not fair, dude!"
    "Life isn't fair, pal," I said waving the box from its metal handle. I sat down on the opposite couch. I took one from the container and ate it. He got up and headed for the kitchen. I forgot he was gone since I was focused on the show. I sat there for a while eating the chicken, forgetting Duke left. Where'd he go?
    "My chicken now!" Duke shouted as he grabbed my shoulders and gave me a heart attack. He must've been hiding behind the couch.
    "Aahh!" He leaped over the couch so that he was sitting next to me. He tried to loosen my grip from the box but I would not let go.
    "Playing hard to get are you?" He asked with a smirk. And this smirk was evil. I don't like that smirk. "Well, then, guess I'm just going to have to do this!" He began to tickle my sides and my stomach. My weak spots.
    I was laughing uncontrollably and he began to laugh, too. "Stop it!" I begged while laughing.
    "Not until I get my chicken back!" I tried to get away from his grasp and got myself to the floor and tried to stand up until he pinned me down. "You ain't getting away from me, sweetheart." He continued to tickle me and I dropped the box. He must've forgot about the box because he seemed to be enjoying the excitement that I was showing.
    "Okay! Okay! You win!" I said surrendering.
    He was still on top of me and he was smiling. His hair was messed up a bit. Damn was he good looking. Stop it, Val! "I always win, chica!" Duke said winking at me. "You're not half bad, Cruz. You're pretty cool!"
    "Same to you, Taylor," I said still forgetting he was on top of me. We stopped smiling until we heard slow clapping. We looked to our right to see the three morons, Alex, Matt, and Drake.
    "That was quite the show you put on for us," Alex said impressed.
    "What should their ship name be?" Matt asked Drake.
    "Let's see," Drake began. "Valentina and Duke. How about Duketina!" The three of them laughed at that.
    "I sound like a ballerina," Duke said unimpressed.
    "I think it's cute," I said laughing a bit. Duke blushed and then smiled.
    "I think this is just your way of telling me that you want me," Duke said smirking.
    "In your dreams, you perverted monkey," I said sitting up and crossing my arms. I looked at the clock to see it read 9:30. Franklin and Anne walked in on que. "Uh, hello Mr. Franklin and Mrs. Anne."
    The two of them stared at us confused. "Hello. What's happening here?" Anne asked.
    "The three of them just came in. I thought I come home early and help Val with Kerry," Duke said trying to not get us in any trouble.
    "Okay then," Franklin said a little confused.
   It was getting awkward and silent. I picked up my bag from the couch and looked at all of them with a small smile. "Well, I should be leaving now," I said trying to make the situation less awkward. "Have a goodnight!" I said as I walked to the door. I placed my hand on the door knob.
    "Wait, I'll walk you to your house," Duke said hustling over. He placed his hand on my hand. I flinched and looked at him shocked. He looked a little stunned and took his hand away.
    We left the house and walked next door. "Thanks for walking me five feet to my house," I said joking around with him.
    "Hey, you never know. You can meet a pervert five feet away from your house," Duke said.
    "Yeah, I already did," I said with a smirk.
    He laughed at my reference towards him. We finally reached the front of the bakery and stopped. "Have a goodnight, Val. Talk to you later," he said walking away.
    "Thanks! You, too!" I said. I opened the door and locked it. I went upstairs to the living room to see Gramma and Gramps still awake. "Hey, guys! I'm home!"
    "Hey, Val! How was it?" Gramps asked me.
    "It was good. Duke came home early so he offered to help me. It was good to have someone keep me company," I said avoiding the fact that I actually did have a lot of fun. I've never been the person to have an exciting day. It's normally lacrosse practice, work, homework, studying, and maybe hanging out with Nicky.
    "Alright then. Why don't you get yourself to bed," Gramma said looking at the tired mess I am.
    "Okay! Good night guys!" I walked up another flight of stairs to my room. I threw on my black shorts and white tank top and sat in bed. Tonight wasn't horrible I have to admit. I looked at my window. I got up and walked to it to see the boys in the Duke's room. I think they noticed me and waved. I waved back and locked my window and closed my curtains. Hopefully Duke and I might have a good relationship soon.