Chapter Twenty-Eight

~~~

"Allie, what's wrong?" I hear Daniel ask as I bend over trying to catch my breath. 

Everyone has gone to their second class and the halls are quiet beside the sounds of the blood pulsing in my head and Daniel trying to use calming words.

It feels like the walls are closing in on me and I claw at the collar of my shirt to find any relief from the restriction I feel around my neck.

"I can't breathe..," I say, continuing to pull at my clothes not really being able to focus on Daniel in front of me.

I've had a few panick attacks since that night but this one by far is the worst. My breathing is quick and erratic and my eyes dart around trying to find something to focus on but I can't stop the feeling of absolute fear and terror taking over.

"Breathe, just breathe and listen to my voice," Daniel grabs the sides of my arms and trys to get me to focus on him.

I've confided in him about these attacks so he instantly knows what's going on. I'm thankful he was the one to be around because someone else probably would not have known what to do.

I lean against the wall, looking at him trying to calm me but it's not working. I start fighting against him in a panic, suddenly feeling like I need to be outside.

"Allie, stop fighting me. You're fine..everything is fine..you need to breathe and calm down.." he speaks in a calm, soothing voice but it still doesn't bring me to reality.

I push at his chest but at the same time pull at his jacket with conflicting feelings. I don't want him to leave me but I need to get away.

"I can't...please help me.." I try to express what I need but I can't because I don't even know what I want. My brain is just a mess of jumbled emotions that I can't make sense of.

"I'm trying but I don't know what to do.." Daniel's voice sounds almost as panicked as mine.

Suddenly, he's  is pulled away from me by the back of his jacket.

"What the fuck are you doing to her?" I hear James say as he pulls him away and the anger in his voice is alarming. 

Shit..not good.

~~~

James's POV

The meeting with the administrator went a little longer than expected but I knew I would  only be a minute or two late to meet with Allie.

I walk down the empty hall and realize I probably missed her and she most likely went on to her next class but I figured I would double check.

I turn the corner and I see red.

She fighting against a guy. He has her by the arms and she's struggling to get away. I have flashbacks from the night I pulled that scum off I her and I grab the back of this guy's jacket and rip him away.

"What the fuck are you doing to her?" I ask between clenched teeth, still gripping the back of his clothing.  He looks up with shock as I pull my fist back, ready to pound his face in. The anger tearing through me is so intense that I'm shaking.

"James, No!" I hear Allie yell just before my fist is about to connect with his face. I stop myself to look up at her and her eyes are wide.

"That's Daniel, he was helping me!" She breathes out quickly before her back slides down the wall and tears fall down her face.

"She's having a panic attack. I was trying to calm her down," the guy explains with anger apparent in his voice.