Chapter 34- The Call

Jack's POV
I was sitting in my parent's living room, my face in my hands. I've pretty much been crying since I got here.

*flashblack, when Jack arrived*

I got my luggage and ran off the plane as fast as I could. I needed to get to my parent's house. I hailed a cab and told them where to go. It was at that moment I got a text.

"We're not at the house. Meet us at the vet."

I told the driver the new destination, and we arrived pretty quickly. I grabbed my luggage, paid him, and went inside. I saw my mom sitting in a chair, crying, and my dad was trying to calm her down, but I could see some tears in his eyes too.

"Hey Ma, hey dad."

As soon as I say that, Ma's  head snapped up and Dad looked at me. I walked over to them and Ma stood up and hugged me.

"Sean.." I could hear her crying. Now I know she's really upset because she never uses my real name.

"Ma, what happened?"

"G-Gizmo..he r-ran out into t-the r-road and got hit..."

"W-what..?"

I froze. Gizmo's like my best friend. No, not Gizmo... That's when tears started again. This can't happen. Please no... That's when the vet comes out to speak to us.

"How is he?"

"We can't tell for sure. He seems to be doing okay for right now, but we don't know how long that'll last. I promise though we will do everything we can. We'll call you if anything happens."

That's when I broke down. I don't want to lose Gizmo. Not like this. I felt my dad gently squeeze my shoulder, trying to comfort me, and my ma was rubbing my back. The doctor turns to leave and Ma speaks up.

"I think we should get home."

"No!" I yell. "I'm not leaving Gizmo here alone!"

"Honey, he's not alone ther-"

"That doesn't count Ma! He needs me here!"

She pulls me into a hug, which makes me cry even more.

"Sean, let's go home."

*End of flashback*

Ma and Dad went out for groceries. They asked me to go, but I really didn't feel like it. It's been three days and we still haven't heard anything from the vet. I'm starting to get worried. I can't lose Gizmo.

I hear the front door open and my parents come in. I stand up, greet them with a hug, and help put the groceries away, it now being 6 P.M.

"Have you heard from the vet?"

My heart sinks at that question.

"No, I haven't..."

"It's okay Sean. I'm sure he's going to be fine."

"I hope so..."

Ma asked me to help cook supper, so I said I would. I mainly just think she asked so I could try to get my mind off of Gizmo for a while. We cut up carrots, onions, and potatoes and started making supper. As we did, we made some small talk.

"So, Jack, how have things been? I mean, before you came back here. We haven't really gotten to talk much."

"They've been good. Sure I've had my moments, but other than that, everything's been fine. How have things been for you?"

"Good. Not much has changed. However, I know something about you has changed." She nudges me with her shoulder. I chuckle.

"What do mean Ma?"

"You know what I mean. I saw the panel with Mark, Wade, and Bob. How's that going?"

"Fine."

"Are you sure?"

"Yes."

The conversation ended there. I could tell she wanted to say more, but she didn't push the matters farther. We finished making supper and served it.

After we finished eating, Ma and Dad were getting ready to go to bed when the phone rang. I looked at my ma and she nodded, so I quickly picked it up.

"Hello?... thank you so much... see you tomorrow."

I looked at my parents with a huge smile on face.

"So what'd the vet say?"

"Gizmo is going to be okay."

We all hugged and went to bed, excited for tomorrow.

A/N finally another chapter! I'm sorry it took me so long to update. This isn't the only update you'll be getting though. You'll see when you actually see this chapter. I kinda ran into a little writer's block, but hopefully this chapter was still okay.