Speaking of Caleb, he looked pretty disturbed during the whole day. The unmistakable look of guilt was plastered on his face. He couldn’t even look in our direction. It is called avoiding a problem. Most of us do it unknowingly. We should look at ourselves and accept when we do something wrong and face it with a brave face. Well… who am I to preach. I’m exactly the same. A simple, weak human being.

The school was over and I was sitting in my room solving some math problems. Today, I had submitted that form and I have to prepare now. I was completely engrossed with my work. It was only when my phone rang did I realize that the time had passed and it was already dusk.

I read Hailey’s name on my phone with her pouty face staring at me. I accepted the call.

“You have to bring him here.” She spoke without any ‘hello’, ‘hi’.

I was quiet for a moment with her sudden demand. “Who?” I asked after regaining some composure.

“Caleb. Who else? I want him to be here for Logan’s party. No matter what he says I know Logan is hurt by Caleb’s actions. If he doesn’t appear tonight then it will really hurt Logan and I won’t like it. Now it’s your job to bring Caleb.”

“But you know I’m not-“

“I DON’T CARE!” She shouted and my ears started ringing.  She took a deep breath and spoke again. “I don’t care whether you are coming OR NOT. Bring Caleb with you in half an hour or…” She left the sentence incomplete and hung up on me. I sighed pressed the palm of my hand to my head. That girl!

Looks like I will have to go to that party. But that’s not necessary. I can just drop Caleb there.

I was wearing my Pokémon pajamas and a cozy sweatshirt. It was too informal. So searched in my closet to wear something more presentable. I put on my new black jeans and a white top. I opened the balcony to look for Caleb inside his room. If there’s at least a shadow of him then I’ll know he’s still at his house and not with his girlfriend again.

I couldn’t find him but instead froze myself out there. The nights have started to become colder with every day. I returned to my room and put on a black coat my dad had gifted me last year. I pulled the elastic band out of my hair letting them fall on my shoulder in waves and combed them hurriedly with one hand. With the other hand, I called Caleb but it only kept on ringing.

I put on my shoes and walked quickly to his house. The door was opened by Mrs. Long, Caleb's mother.

Mariah Long was a beautiful lady in her mid thirties. She looked like her son or should I say her son looked like her because she came in this world before him. That aside, she is simple a nice lady one would like to talk to. She used to cook delicious food when I came over their home few months ago. She knows I and Caleb have a fall out but I don’t expect she knows the real reason behind it.

When she saw me on her doorstep, a wide grin appeared on her face and she engulfed me in a tight hug. I was taken aback by the sudden act. My arms stayed at my sides as she squeezed the life out of me. I tried not to push her away. She was just happy to see me.

“Ashley! It’s been so long since I saw you. You used to come over every other day before but now you don’t even visit us. I’m so happy to see you here.” She said excitedly.

“I’m happy to see you too.” I mumbled and willed my arms to hug her loosely before she pulled away.

“You’ve grown up since I last saw you.” She said cupping my face. There was a nostalgic smile on her face. It made me feel uncomfortable. I wondered if she was really feeling like that or kidding or throwing some kind of jab at me because I didn’t see her in past few months.