Down Town

Written 2012 by VeGirl

Caroline came over for coffee the next day when the brothers had to help Alaric with something. Well, Damon had to persuade Stefan to go, because he said he didn't care, but he finally gave in and they both left.

It was nice to get to know Caroline better, she had this bubbling, positive energy around her that she didn't seem to be aware of and she treated me completely different now that she knew I was no threat to Elena. I had apologised repeatedly for the joke I had pulled on her at the Grill, and she finally believed me. The party had helped as well.

She admitted to us girls, when the guys weren't around that Klaus was totally flirting with her.

"But why don't you go for him? He's hot!" Anna exclaimed which made Elena and Caroline eyeballing her.

I just laughed. "Anna, you forget that this isn't the Vampire Diaries on TV; this is the full-blooded, raging maniac-Klaus that kills people just for the fun of it." I tried to make her realize the difference.

"Exactly!" Caroline flicked her hands out and rolled her eyes. "He's acting all nice one minute and the next he's back as the big bad wolf. Totally unpredictable!"

I almost laughed at her expressions.

"I mean he showed me this sketches he made and they're gorgeous. And he bought me a dress for the ball and it was exquisite. Why?"

"But Caroline I saw you kissing him, here at the party," I couldn't help saying.

That silenced her.

Elena looked like she was going to explode from laughter and I just looked at Caroline with a cocky expression as her eyes flickered between the three of us.

Caroline almost held her breath until she had to admit. "And he was such a good kisser! Why would I think that, I mean he did kill you Elena and you're my best friend. I can't fall for him; look at all the evil he has done to this town throughout this year."

"But he's a good kisser?" Anna asked longingly.

Caroline just stared at her.

"He had a long time to practice..." I said and both Elena and I cracked laughing; we laughed till tears started to flow.

"Arghh, you're useless!" Caroline was still annoyed, not so much about us I think, but for the fact that she was so falling for the bad guy. Who was I or Elena to blame her?

"What do you say about some shopping, are you up for it?" Caroline asked a moment later, probably to distract us.

We looked at one another and it was decided; we would head out. The guys weren't back, but I texted Damon to let him know. I couldn't help to think about the last time I was shopping; it was with Damon and Lexi, and I had to shrug off the way Damon and I had treated each other that day.

The make-up sex had been great though.

"Is something wrong?" Anna asked me in Swedish; just in case it was something I didn't want the others to know.

"No, I was just thinking of the last time I was here; it was with Damon and Lexi." I was smiling but got confused by the furrowed eyebrows Anna gave me.

"What do you mean? I know Lexi's dead."

"Hmm, not really..."

Anna looked at me like I had really lost it.

Again...

"Damon got a little help from some witches in the area and... got her back."

She didn't believe me, that was obvious, but when she turned to Elena, she nodded. "So she's like some ghost now?"

"No she's a regular vamp, just as she was," I explained a little about what had happened.

"Damon got her a daylight-ring as well, and she was ecstatic!"

"So, has your bad boy turned good now?" Anna's tone of voice lacked compassion when it reached my ears, but I was biased.

I didn't answer, just smiled thinking of the phrase; your bad boy. Could I start saying he was mine now? I longed. It hit me that I really wanted to mark him with my name and tell everyone that he was mine.

How naive of me!

"Hey Emma, we're here." I was snapped out off the brooding and followed the girls to the mall.

Anna found this gorgeous short dress and I found a short black jeans-skirt, another short black billowing skirt and a pink tank top. That would go perfectly with my black booties.

Elena bought a beautiful summer dress as well and Caroline got herself a pair of skinny jeans. But after a couple of hours shopping I had enough, so when the girls headed for another shoe-store, I headed outside.

My feet hurt as I sat down on the bench outside of the mall; I enjoyed the calm and was watching people walking by when I sensed a presence.

Klaus suddenly sat on the bench next to me and sniffed me when I noticed him. I jumped; startled.

"Mouth-watering as always." Klaus smiled his wicked smile. "With a hint of strawberries."

I tried to think about what shampoo I had while discretely sniffing my hair, had there been a hint of strawberries in it?

He snickered. "Not the hair, luv!" He tried to sniff my neck and I flinched away.

"Forget it Claws!" I'm not sure if I felt embarrassed because I had been stupid by not getting what he meant or if it was the close proximity of him.

He snickered and I couldn't help to think about that gorgeous smile and the cute dimples. His whole face seemed to lighten up when he smiled.

"Are you flirting with me?" I said blunt. "You know we're through, right?" I my low voice, pretending to be confidential. "Cause, you know I'm here with Caroline, don't you?" Now it was my turn to be a bit cocky. Maybe too cocky...

His smirk disappeared in an instant and his eyebrows puckered in a question.

I turned my eyes towards the entrance. "She might question your intentions," I said with a wicked smile toward him.

The doors to the mall opened and his eyes flickered towards Elena who was on her way out with the girls. In an instant Klaus had disappeared, but not my satisfactory grin. I had found the advantage to use against him. Yes!

"What are you so smug about?"

"Oh, I just won an argument."

"Against yourself?"

"No."

They looked expectantly at me but I didn't say anything.

Then they remembered that Caroline just had to show me the new heels she bought and they quickly forgot all about my facial expressions.

.