"Let's get one thing straight, Kai," I start, exasperated. "You lifted Joshua's curse. I was feeling really grateful and without even really thinking about it, I kissed you. But it was nothing more than an act of gratitude. Remember that."

He nods slowly, a small grin on his face. "Okay, if that's what you wanna tell yourself. You'll admit the truth eventually."

I begin to storm past him. "There's nothing to admit, asshole."

He reaches up to grip my wrist, stopping me from walking away. I look at him impatiently.

"What?"

"Well, I successfully lifted your little Joshua-inflicted curse yesterday. I think that deserves a celebration. And you know," He gestures around the room widely with one arm. "We've been cooped up in this house for a few days. I say we go out for today and have fun."

My eyebrows pull together at his suggestion, my eyes glancing left to right and then focusing on the grinning boy in front of me again.

"Have fun? Kai, we're sort of trapped in a prison world, if you forgot. I need to get back home to my family, you need to get back to your coven, and our only concern right now should be finding a way the hell out of here. Okay? And no offense, but having fun and spending time with you don't go hand in hand for me."

"Wow, you lift a curse for somebody and this is the treatment you get," He shakes his head, shrugging. "I guess I'll just go out on my own then."

He stands up slowly, exaggerating every move. I watch him with my arms crossed over my chest, glaring.

"So if you need me," He takes his time with each step as he speaks. "I'll be out somewhere in this empty world, filled with fun possibilities. Having a ton of fun."

He walks past me and I don't turn around, staring at the wall on the other side of the room in irritation. Considering he's the one whose been trapped here longer, you'd think he'd jump at a chance of escape. But all he cares about is having fun, when we should be dedicating our day to the study, researching, finding a way to escape.

I'm usually not the downer of social gatherings back in Mystic Falls. Of course I want to have fun. But right now, I miss Elena and Jeremy more than anything. I miss my friends. I can't be here any longer when I should be there, helping them in the inevitable fight against Joshua and the Gemini coven.

I know Damon told me he was doing everything he could to get me out, and I hope to God that somehow he does find a way. But waiting around for that to happen isn't helping. Engaging in meaningless antics with Kai around the prison world while my friends are probably working day and night to break me free is selfish.

I hear his slow footsteps stop suddenly and I sigh quietly, turning around to face him.

Kai is standing a few feet from the door, an expectant look on his face.

"You can go have fun, then," I tell him. "I'll just figure out how to escape by myself."

He snorts. "Oh, come on, Charlie. A few hours soaking up some Vitamin D won't kill you."

I exhale sharply. "Kai, can we please just-"

"Charlie," He interrupts me, walking over so he's standing in front of me now. "You need to loosen up. Have a good time, stop being so goddamn uptight about everything and-"

"Uptight?" I say incredulously, scowling. "I'm not uptight, I just want to go home."

"You don't think I want that just as badly as you do? But I can't just sit around, spending every second of the day in this house, researching for hours straight. I need a break and so do you. Which is why you're gonna come with me."