Chapter Twenty Eight: It's A Revolution, I Suppose

Start from the beginning

"Earth hate Hulk," the Hulk grunted.

McKenzie's eyes widened. "No, no, Earth loves Hulk. They love you. You're one of the Avengers. One of the team, one of our friends."

"This is what friends do," Thor encouraged. "They support each other."

"You're Banner's friends," the Hulk accused.

"I'm your friend too," McKenzie assured him.

He turned away. "Banner's friend."

She shot a pleading look at Thor. "I'm not Banner's friend," he told the Hulk. "I prefer you. I don't even like Banner. 'I'm into numbers and science and stuff'." He did a terrible impression, scoffing.

"Thor and Angel go," the Hulk ordered. "Hulk stay."

Thor set his jaw. "Fine. Stay here. Stupid place. It's hideous, by the way. The red, the white. Just pick a colour." He headed off for the exit.

"Smash you," the Hulk called after him.

Thor snorted derisively. "You didn't smash anything. I won that fight."

"I smashed you."

"Yeah, sure, sure."

"Baby arms!"

Thor almost turned back. "What?"

"Baby!" the Hulk shouted. Beside him, McKenzie rolled her eyes.

"Moron!" Thor shot back. "You big child."

"Thor go!"

"I am going!" Thor walked into the doorway and his obedience disc activated, sending him to the ground.

The Hulk laughed, pointing at him. "Thor go again!" Despite herself, McKenzie huffed a laugh, and the Hulk clapped her on the shoulder. "Angel home."

***

Later, Thor was sat against the wall, watching McKenzie sleep. She had lain awake for a long time, lost in her thoughts, before her eyes had flickered shut and now he found he was loathe to wake her. She had commandeered one of the huge pillows from the Hulk's bed and was curled around it, one hand resting between her stomach and the ground.

Across the room, the Hulk grunted, grabbing his giant battleaxe. He'd already donned all his armour. "Hulk trains."

Thor sighed. "That's great. Have fun." He watched as the Hulk left, absently wondering how McKenzie could possibly sleep through those thundering footsteps. Then, once the Hulk had disappeared, he got to his feet, looking out of the window. "Heimdall, I know you can see me. I need you to help me. Help me see." After a long moment, his irises turned golden and he turned around to find himself standing in the streets of Asgard at Heimdall's side. Heimdall beckoned him to follow as he flattened himself against a shadowed wall in an alleyway.

"I see you," Heimdall said quietly, keeping his eyes on Hela's passing patrols. "But you are far away."

"What's going on here?" Thor asked, frowning at the refugees Heimdall was guarding.

Heimdall glanced at him. "Come see for yourself." He darted out of the alley, leading the refugees down the street. Thor followed. "I'm providing refuge in a stronghold built by our ancestors. But if the garrison falls our only escape will be the Bifrost."

Thor blinked. "You're talking about evacuating Asgard?"

Heimdall shrugged. "We won't last long if we stay. She draws her power from Asgard and grows stronger every day. Come on." He led them down a narrow pathway. "Hela is ravenous. If I let her leave, she'll consume the Nine Realms and all the cosmos. We need you. We need the Angel."