9

tyler woke up from his nap, not knowing he had dozed off to begin with. a hollow feeling in his stomach and no josh was what he had woken up to. tyler was immediately shaky from the lack of food, but he didn't care. the boy had woken up feeling strange and frantic, his mind racing with several thoughts. he wouldn't have minded the thoughts so much if they weren't fighting each other for attention, each one shouting within tyler's head louder than the last.

with each thought saying a completely different thing, it took him a while to realize josh wasn't there. it was a shiver that reminded him of how warm and comfortable josh was and how he happened to be missing from the situation.

tyler huffed in frustration, standing up with the blanket wrapped tightly around his body. he walked over to the corner of the room where josh had a pile of random things shoved into a small bag. the brunette dug through the odd assortment of items before realizing nothing of use was in there for him. he would just have to wait for josh to get back and go out to get supplies together.

tyler could break into his own home and take a few things from there. he would probably be back before josh. it would also save time and be convenient for both of them.

tyler soon convinced himself that the idea was a great one and easy to execute before pulling on his jacket and grabbing his shoes. he tied the laces sloppily and quickly. he was impatient and ready for the excitement of breaking into a house all by himself. the brunette stood up and approached the door before it abruptly swung open in front of him.

the cold air rushed into the small room and tyler stepped back as josh entered. "tyler," josh asked. "were you leaving?"

"wha- no! no, i was going to go home and well, not go home, it's not really my home anymore i guess, but i was going back to my old house to get things." tyler's words stumbled out quickly and clumsily.

"what kind of things," josh shut the door and sat down on the chair.

"blankets, jackets, those kind of things," tyler explained calmly. "but i guess since you're here, we can go get those together."

"no we can't," josh replied, his voice monotone.

"why not?"

"we can't go to the same house twice, i already got in there once, it'd be too risky to go again. plus, it's still bright out," josh explained.

"oh. well can we still go get somethings, it's really cold out," tyler asked, his words not losing their quick delivery.

"actually, we have to go," the blue haired boy sighed.

"but why?" tyler sat on the bed, draping the blanket around his frame.

"the rest of my family is dead." josh looked down at the floor. "they've all been murdered except me, which means i'm next, so we have to go."

"what, why would they be after you," tyler asked, his eyes wide with a combination of fear and curiosity.

"fuck if i know! god, terrance, tyrone, tommy, whatever your fucking name is, just grab our things so we can go already." tyler jumped at josh's sudden anger before observing him skeptically.

"is that," tyler leaned into the other boy. "blood?" the brunette pointed to red splatter on josh's neck and shirt.

"what?" josh looked down in confusion before inspecting the area in question. "weird," he mumbled. "ok, lets go."

tyler scrambled off the bed and grabbed the little bag of things in the corner before following josh through the door.

"where are we going," tyler asked innocently.

"i don't know."

"are we walking there?"

"i don't know."

"will it be warmer?"

"shut the fuck up, taylor!" josh bursted, causing the brunette to jump once more.

"it's tyler," the boy spat, clenching his fists. the two continued in silence, their footsteps crunching in the snow until it began to get dark.

"josh," tyler muttered, his voice shaky from the cold.

"what," josh asked through the cool air.

"when are we going to stop? my toes feel nonexistent." tyler wiped at his running nose as josh stopped walking. the older boy huffed, his breath visible, and looked down.

"just a little more, okay?" josh sighed, his voice soft.

"okay," tyler shrugged before following the boy again. "i'm sorry you lost your family," the boy mumbled.

"it's okay, it's not your fault, they were gonna all die eventually." josh sighed before nearing a car. "what do you think?"

"what? oh, about the car, well, it's not the best but i guess it's nice," tyler answered, his voice wavering from the cold.

"that's exactly what we're looking for," josh spoke proudly before trying the door handle. the door miraculously opened and josh let out a sigh of relief. "get in."

"is this safe?" tyler asked, the question earning a laugh from the older boy.

"since when has anything we've ever done been safe?" josh got into the drivers seat as tyler got in on the other side.

"so, how do we start it?" tyler wondered.

"i, um, i'm not sure," josh replied, his voice sounding defeated.

"oh josh," tyler clutched his knees to his chest in an attempt to get warm. "you can do a lot of things, i'm sure you can figure out how to start a car, too." tyler smiled in encouragement.

"aw thanks man," josh smiled back, his eyes squinting in the process. "i can do this," he whispered to himself, returning to working on the car.

tyler looked out the window and up at the sky, watching the stars slowly appear one by one. suddenly, the car turned on.

"oh my god you did it," tyler's jaw dropped in awe. "how?"

"well i always carry around bobby pins because i used to see them work for lock picking in the movies and i haven't really tried it yet but i guess it works on cars," josh explained in excitement, turning on the heat.

"that sounds totally fake and makes no sense but okay," tyler laughed.

¯\_()_/¯
ily
-abbi