¢нαρтєя иιиєтєєи: Fear And Apologies

A terrible feeling filled my gut as I watched my friend slump to the ground. For a moment, I flashed back to the first time I'd seen him come back from a quest, slumped over in Percy's arms, like he was dead.

"Rogues!" Ryland yelled, his bow already in his hands as he held an arrow, poised on the string. Cynthia's knives were a blur in her hands- she was spinning them like she was getting ready to throw one. Distantly, I could hear the safety click off of Jester's gun.

I couldn't even find the strength to lift Flashwave off my wrist. The bracelet was heating up like crazy, as if it was trying to warn me to snap out of it. Instead, I dropped by my friend's side, turning him over frantically, unaware of the yelling and fighting that has begun around me.

"Marc, Marc," I said, shaking him as I tried to discern what had shot him down. "C'mon, get up-" Once I flipped him over, a scream lodged in my throat.

Ryland's arrow was lodged in his side, the very same one that I'd seen skim the leg of the Asian rogue demigod who'd nearly killed me. The one that he'd brought from camp. The one tipped with celestial bronze.

"Oh, no," I whispered.

"Calypso, get up!" Jester suddenly yelled in my ear. "We need to get out of here-!"

My hands gripped the collars of his too-big jacket. "Celestial bronze, Ford," I whispered, shell-shocked. "He was shot with celestial bronze."

I saw the little colour in his face drain. "Di immortales."

I shot up, catching a glance at the people we were fighting- the Kronos Renegades. They were all present, except for the Asian kid. His absence only made my fear heighten- if the kid was already decommissioned from a graze of celestial bronze, what was going to happen to Marc?

Ryland's arrow was hovering, still on his string. He hadn't let a single one loose. I could see the guilt written all over his face. He couldn't see the kid he'd hurt anywhere either.

"Ryland," I gripped his wrist, pushing my shock and distress away. "We need to get out of here. Marc-"

"I know," he swallowed, eyes still on the Renegades. Cynthia was facing off both the blonde sisters at once, fighting using both arms. Jester had sprung away, meeting the boy with rainbow eyes, hammer and gun against spear and dagger- the kid's dagger. Guilt ripped through my gut. "I saw the arrow."

"We need to get out of here," I said, eyeing the pretty girl as she glared at me. I wondered why she hadn't attacked yet. "Godly metal eats and burns away a half-blood's very essence. He won't survive long."

He opened his mouth, before closing it as he swallowed. Finally, he nodded, dropping his bow and arrow back into his backpack as they shrunk magically, fitting easily into his pack. Quickly, he shuffled, hefting Marc in his arms. The son of Ares groaned, discomfort flashing on his face.

"Bananas," he groaned.

"Gotcha, buddy," Ryland said, before looking back at me. "Hold them off. I'll be in the alley." I didn't even get to say anything before he'd disappeared down the dark alleyway.

Finally, I faced the fighting. I had barely a second to breathe before the tip of a spear swing just past my face, barely missing my cheek. Gasping, I stumbled back, flinging Flashwave off my wrist and catching the blade, bringing up just as the point of the spear came crashing down on me again. I spun, parrying the slashes that rained down on me again and again, before finally, we clashed, pushing against each other as we locked into a stalemate.