Chapter XVI - Christmas Day

Start from the beginning

   "Karaoke again!" Aphmau shouting into a microphone breaks me out of my trance with my phone. "This time, Christmas carols!"
   People gather around her, in the living room, pulling up blankets to get cozy. I decide that after spending a few hours isolated, I could go and at least look at that the train wrecks. I smile to myself, and imagine the people doing something they might regret in the morning, as some people were a bit tipsy.
   I get off of the decorated dining chair and walk over to the crowd of people. I spot Travis and walk over so his side.
   "Hey." For once I started the conversation.
   "Hey Zane." He looked over to me. "Are you gonna sing?"
   "Oh dear Irene, no." I imagine with terror me standing up there, everyone looking at my every move, silently judging me. My knees wobble a bit just thinking about it.
   "Oh so you're just going to-"
   He was cut off by a fangirl screech. We look over at Kawaii~Chan, looking excitedly at us. She pokes Aphmau and gestures to us, her eyes sparkling. Aphmau stares, confused, until her eyes travel up a bit and her face lights up. She let's out a little squeal.
   "What is it?" I ask, getting annoyed that they're bringing to much attention to us.
   KC continues to squeal happily, while Aphmau's goofy grin is replaced by an evil smirk. "Look up~." She coos.
   I felt confused until my head tilts upwards, looking at the ceiling. Then I see it. Hung on a hook, on the archway Travis and I were just under, was the green-and-red of mistletoe. My head jerks back down, finding Travis's gaze settling back on me, he was presumably just looking at the mistletoe as well. My face felt like it erupted in flames that very moment.
   "You have to do it, it's Christmas law." I hear Aphmau say again.
   It's quiet, you could only hear the muffled mini squeals of Kawaii~Chan. I see Travis shrug, although he has a faint smirk plastered on his face.
   "Okay, c'mere." Travis stated, reaching his arms out.
   "What?!" I yelped.
   "It's just a kiss, it doesn't even have to be on the lips." He said, then continuing, his voice a little grimmer than the first sentence, "It won't mean anything."
   It won't mean anything...
   He gets a bit closer and I get a little more panicked. Before he could try anything, I say:
   "Fine."
   "Wait, really?"
   I know his kind, so it'd be safer if I did something instead. I brought my hand to my face, kissed it trough my mask and slapped Travis. I didn't want to hurt him, but I did want my point to be clear. My hit was enough to make a clearly audible sound.
   "Uh..." I said, and made my way to the bathroom quickly, without another word. I closed and locked the door. Breathing a bit heavily, I processed what just happened. "Ugh."
   You idiot.
   I was panicked! What'd you expect.
   You were starting to be friends with him, now he probably doesn't like you.
   I locked myself in the bathroom for a while, lightly hitting my head against the wall repeatedly. After a while of self-pity and embarrassment, I journeyed back out. Most people had moved on to another thing, like Katelyn, who was currently singing. Rather beautifully, I might add. I retreated back to my lonely chair at the dining table. I stayed there for a while once more, reevaluating my life choices.
   That is what happens when you leave your safe zone.
   Ugh.
   Out of the corner of my eye, I see pink coming towards me. It was Kawaii~Chan.
   "Hey Zane! Aphmau wanted Kawaii~Chan to tell Zane that the gift-giving is going to commence soon."
   "Oh, ok. Thanks Kawaii~Chan." I mumbled. She nodded cheerfully and bounced away.
   I sighed and retrieved my present bag.
   Here we go again.

   Everything was going rather okay, I got some weird looks about earlier when I shaped Travis, but I explained and they mostly brushed it off. I gave everyone their presents, and earner yet another hug from my brother. I had been receiving a good bunch of My Little Horsies plushes and merchandise.
   I looked into my bag once more and saw that only one more was to be given - Travis's. I breathed in deeply, and prepared myself to face him again. I made my way over to him.
   "Oh, hi Zane."
   "Hey-y. Uh, here's your present.." I reached into my bag and gave him his Steven Universe Lion plush.
   He looked at it tenderly. Then his eyes met mine, and it once more went quiet between us.
   "I-" I started.
   "I'm sorry." He cut me off.
   "Th-... wait, what? Why? If anything I should be apologizing to you." I blabbed, confused.
   "You clearly didn't want to kiss me, and is deserved that slap. You were even nice enough to kiss it, too." He grinned at me.
   Where's that idiot Casanova I always heard of through Aphmau..?
   "Well, it's not- it's not that I didn't want to kiss you, it- I-" I realized what I just said. He smirked.
   "So you did-"
   "No, that just came out wrong!" I quickly shushed him from saying any more. He just laughed at my hurried reaction. I angrily pouted under my mask and growled a bit.
   "Oh, right." He said between laughs. "Here's you present." His hand revealed a medium-sized Peridot doll-plush.
   "Oh, it's Peridot." I took my gift in my hands.
   "I got it because it reminded me of you..." He said while I was somewhat spaced out. "Short, angry... cute." He said the last word quieter.
   "Well, I guess you can say that's why I got yours for you too." I mumbled, halfway spaced out still, admiring the Peridot plush, halfway aware.
   "Oh, really now?"
   I looked back at him and just processed what he had said, and what I said after.
   Wait, did I just flirt... oh no, abort! Abort! Leave current situation!
   "No, wait, no, not really. No." Was the last string of words I said before quickly walking away.
   I was done with presents for everyone, and I sat back down.
   Did you really.
   Yes, I did, okay, I didn't know what he and I were saying.
   The gift exchange was the last thing on the agenda, and soon, after saying "Merry Christmas", I'd be back in my bed.
   Good, yes thank you. This party was a little, weird. Finally I'd be completely safe.
   But four words lingered in my mind.
   It won't mean anything...

Word count: 2568
Whew! This took a while to write. Sorry this chapter was posted later than the other one was.
Oh, hey, if you want, comment what you got for Christmas, or how your day was.
I got my first laptop, including many good books, and some video games.
Live, Love, Lapis, have an amazing day and Happy Holidays!