Chapter III - BBQ

~Zane's PoV~

       After the party, it was basically the same routine. Wake up, try and find a job, exist, and then go back to bed. Though, I have to admit, having Garroth and Laurance here does shake things up a bit once in while. Like this morning when Laurance was trying to bake something and ended up using salt instead of sugar. I'm surprised he hasn't already burnt the place down with all the sweets he's been attempting. He's a good cook, I'll give him that, but when it comes to baking, I'm still supreme. I do have the sweet tooth for it.
I was in my room, on my computer, searching for a job. My bank fund was getting low, and rent was coming up.
I might just have to take Aphmau's offer and work at her new maid cafe. I mean, it shouldn't be all bad - just as long as I don't have to wear the horrid maid outfit again in my life. I still have flashbacks of the strange encounter where I switched clothes with Aphmau so she didn't have to be seen in the rather revealing outfit.
I shudder at the thought.
"Hey!"
"Gah!" I jump at Garroth's voice startling me awake from my thoughts.
"Oh, geez, sorry baby brother."
"It's fine," I recomposed myself, "but what do you want?"
"Oh, I just wanted to say that we're hosting a small get-together and serving BBQ chicken."
I mentally groaned, responding, "Another 'get-together'? Aphmau's party was about four days ago." I thought I already got enough social interaction for one day, seeing as I said 'hello' to Laurance earlier today.
"Yeah, I know, it's a bit close, but I just really want to take advantage of today, seeing as it's Saturday, and this is usually the day everyone gets off, excluding some people." He giggled out of excitement, smiling his strange goofy smile.
"Okay, but if you don't see me come out of my room, just know I am perfectly fine and will be excluded from the party." I looked back down to what I was working on.
"Oh, c'mon baby bro, it'll be fun. Loosen up for a change. I just want to have fun with everyone here, especially now that you're living with us."
I looked back up at him. "That's the problem I'm trying to fix. I need a job soon or else I won't be able to pay rent."
"Why not just work for Aphmau?" He questioned. "Only thing, though, just please don't put on the maid outfit again. My soul still hasn't been cleansed."
"I'm definitely thinking about working for her. And don't worry. I'm not necessarily eager to do that again." I remember the guys' shocked expressions.
        "I've made up my mind. You're going to attend the party, all the way."
        I almost chocked on the hot coffee I was sipping on. "Uh, no, Garroth I need to work on this."
        "No, what you need to do is stop being uptight. We're going to go buy some things for the party, and when we get back, you're helping us." Garroth left before I could protest. I grumbled.
He doesn't get it. They all don't get it. Life isn't all parties and sunshine you know.
I took another small sip on my warm coffee.
What's important here and now is that I get a job. I am not going to let either of them pay for my part of the rent. I can do this by myself, I don't need them.
I kept searching, for about an hour after they left. With now a headache, I grabbed my coffee cup. There was no longer steam rising from it, like before. It was cold.
Ugh, whatever. This is giving me too much of a headache to continue anyways.
Sluggishly, I dragged myself out of bed to put away my half empty mug. Leaving my computer on, I went downstairs, as just then, I heard Garroth and Laurance enter.
"Oh hi Zane. Ready to help out?" Laurance approached me after setting down the groceries. He leaned an elbow on my shoulder.
"Okay, I get I'm shorter than you but I'm not that short." I grumbled and shook him off, annoyed from my previous mission on my computer.
"Did someone wake up on the wrong side of the coffin?" He teased.
"For the last time, I am not a vampire."
He went on still. "Wouldn't be surprised if you were. Pale enough. And you-"
"So, are we going to bicker or are we going to actually set up the 'get-together' or whatever the heck we're doing?" I changed the subject. This wasn't helping the pain in my head.
Garroth's eyes lit up. "You're actually going to help? Awh, thanks little bro." He spread his arms, walking toward me.
"No, no no no," I started walked away, "N-O. No hugs."
Garroth pouted a bit, but he comtinued, saying, "Okay, so I'm thinking about having a barbecue. Laurance, you can be outside, cooking the chicken. I'll set out some chips or something, and get the place overall ready. Zane, you can help me."
        "Alright." We started work on the place, while Laurance was making chicken outside on the grill. I smirked to myself.
Glad he isn't making baked goods or anything like that.