Chapter 16 - Distracted

Start from the beginning

After shopping we went and saw a movie, which by the way happened to be Summer's pick, and also happened to be a teenage vampire romance. It was just my luck that she had picked the latest Twilight movie. I basically cringed the entire way through, not being able to block out thoughts and images of Will for long, mainly due to the fact that there were so many similarities in the movie to Will and I.

Once the movie was over we said our goodbyes and I headed home, straight for bed. The rest of the weekend was quite a drag. My grandma had called me on Sunday to see how I was going, telling me that she was planning to come by in a few weeks to visit, to check out my new place and check up on me. Apparently she also had something 'very important' to tell me, and that she would rather do it in person. This kind of freaked me out a little but I decided I didn't need any more dramas in my life at that moment so I'd deal with it later when the time came.

~

I woke up early on Monday morning, feeling quite anxious. The second reality hit me, I realised that today was the day I had to deal with these stupid dramas. I dragged myself out of bed and proceeded with my usual morning routine. I chose my black denim skinny leg high-waisted ripped jeans, and an off the shoulder white top which showed off a small portion of my midriff. I rushed out the door, in hope of arriving to the lecture early, so that I didn't have to make a decision about, out of the two conflicting dramas in my life, which one I was going to face first.

Luckily for me, neither of the two boys had arrived yet. I chose a seat right up the back left-hand corner of the room. I just sat there in anticipation that neither of them would rock up so that I could hurriedly leave and escape the confrontation that I was dreading...

"Hey pretty." My heart had practically leapt out of my chest and started beating a million miles an hour, leaving me breathless. I snapped my head around to my right, only to see Joel taking a seat next to me. He was smiling at me, just as he always did, with a genuine, heart-warming, butterfly-inducing smile. I loved that about Joel; no matter what had happened, he always somehow had a way of making me feel completely at ease around him.

"Hey Joel." I replied, not being able to contain the smile that had now spread itself across my startled face. I felt so relieved that the most daunting part of seeing Joel was now over.

We hadn't spoken a word about Thursday, yet somehow I felt that it was all behind us and we could go back to how things were before. Instead, we had spent the remainder of the lecture giggling, and drawing silly pictures of the stereotypical lecturer on our notepads.

Once class was over, I felt on top of the world again. All thoughts of dread and anxiousness put behind me, all thoughts of Will...hold on.

Will. I didn't see him in the lecture. I almost felt relieved at that fact. Ok, so now I wasn't going to see him until tomorrow's lab practical, I realised. Well at least I had another whole day to ponder over what I was going to say.

Joel and I made our way to the tutorial, and again spent most of it chatting and giggling away, like the best of friends. Once class was over, we grabbed our bags, and headed out the class room.

"So, what are you up to tonight?" Joel questioned.

"Um, nothing much at all. I kind of just feel like relaxing. I'm completely exhausted, although I spent most of the weekend in bed. You know how when sometimes you oversleep, you end up feeling ten times worse?" I explained, as he smiled and nodded his head at me in agreeance.

"That's cool, I was going to see if you wanted to come around and watch a movie with me, but if you're not up to it I totally understand." He replied, his puppy dog eyes emphasising the most adorable, irresistible, heart-broken look on his face. How could I say no to that?