xli. queen

"I still can't believe you talked us into this," Laurel said, staring at Ty and Lucy in front of them in line. "I haven't been back here in years."

"I just found it ironic that the homecoming game coincided with your homecoming. Plus, isn't it cool to see where your girlfriend came from, Jared?"

"Yeah," Jared agreed, his arm wrapped around Laurel. "This school is unreal."

His words caused her to look around, at the campus of the school that housed her for four years of her teenage life. It was the same as she remembered it; the stables, the different sports fields, the dorm buildings, the expansive school. Everything was immaculate, just like it had been when she was a student. Then she turned back to her group and cozied into Jared.

"So, what's the plan when we get in there?"

"My family saved spots for us," Lucy said, frowning. "But only Ty and me. Plus it's close enough I can see my sister."

"We didn't know you were coming until it was too late to ask them to save you guys a spot too," Ty added.

"It's fine," Laurel told them genuinely, squeezing Jared's hand. "We'll be okay. You guys go."

Then it was their turn to pay their admittance fee. Ty paid for him and Lucy, then Laurel paid for her and Jared, as Ty and Laurel got alumnus discounts for themselves and whoever they brought. Once inside, they split up so Lucy and Ty could go find her family and Jared and Laurel could find somewhere to sit. Some of the teens gave them wide eyed looks as they made their way through the crowd, towards the bleachers.

When they passed the concession stand, Laurel made him stop so she could get some water and a pretzel with cheese, along with a Twix bar. He grabbed popcorn and a Coke, then they continued on to their quest for seats. That's when they were met with their first complication; Christopher Grace and Sadie Michaels.

"Laurel?" he asked, staring at her with wide eyes as the girl he was with - who had been staring at the field - snapped her eyes to the brunette standing in front of them.

"Hey," Laurel answered softly, gripping Jared's hand as tightly as she could as she stared at her ex-boyfriend.

"How have you been? What are you doing here?" Sadie asked, raising her eyebrow at her former best friend, her questions going from sounding curious to brash.

"I've been good, how about you?" Laurel answered, ignoring the latter question.

"What are you doing here?" he asked instead, both of them ignoring the man with her.

"It's a football game," she said, raising both eyebrows. "And I am alumni. I am allowed to come back for sporting events and what have you. Plus, it's the homecoming game."

"You aren't welcome here," the blonde said, no hesitation in her voice. "You left all of us behind for bigger and better things. And you shut us all out a few years ago."

"And you know why," Laurel responded, suddenly feeling angry.

"You killed your sister," he said, then his eyes widen and he stammered. "I mean-"

"Okay," Jared finally said. "Enough. I've heard enough. If you feel cut out and abandoned by her, then just ignore her. Go on with your night. You have no right or reason in attacking her for simply coming back for a football game."

"And who are you?" Christopher asked, crossing his arms across his chest.

"Her boyfriend," was the answer. "And I'd appreciate it if you just walked away now."