Chapter Twenty-Four: Betrayal

Start from the beginning

I shut my eyes tightly and said, "I thought you guys never looked into anything unless you're given a request to do so." I opened my eyes and was glaring at nothing in particular. "I don't recall ever asking you guys to do anything else besides check out the substances of the medicinal tea?" I asked with an annoyed expression on my face. I should have known better. They're private investigators after all. Basically, they're professional snoopers. Always sticking their Pinocchio noses where they didn't belong.

"True, but we felt we should have a right to know."

"No? You really didn't. The medicinal tea had nothing to do with Eli." I corrected him. Although that wasn't entirely truthful. I, myself, still wasn't a hundred percent sure of that. Eli very well could have had a day on poisoning my father. However, now that the medicinal tea came back negative, I was right back at square one.

"While that may be true." Frederick interrupted my thoughts. "We didn't know that at the time since you refused to explain further. For all we knew, Elisha could have very well given you the tea himself. You didn't give us much information so we had to take things into our own hands." He finished and I heard arguing on the other side with Frederik. It sounded just like background noise. It could have very well been just the television or radio.

I took in a deep breath and let it out slowly. "Fine." I said trying to calm my anger down, "Is that all you were calling to say?"

"Yes."

"I'm hanging up." I said and stuffed my phone into my pocket.

I suddenly felt a wave of regret in ever knowing that Frederik was a private investigator. I knew nothing good would come out of exchanging information with them and I was right. Why the hell were they poking their noses into my own business. I understood they needed information on Eli to give back to their current employer but they weren't going to get anything from looking into me. All they needed to do was to keep a sharp eye on him at all times.

I ran my hand through my hair again in slight frustration and sighed dramatically. I turned around and saw that Dylan had his shirt extended out and the fire crackers over it. He had pulled his shirt forward to create a small basket for them while he waited. He rose his hand to wave at me and then some fire crackers rolled off of his shirt.

I rolled my eyes and walked over to him. I picked up five of them and dropped them back onto his shirt, "Smooth. Maybe next time don't stupidly let go of your shirt when it's supporting something, deal?"

"Shut up." Dylan groaned as he began walking in front of me. "I was trying to be friendly with you."

I smirked and followed after him. "Why the hell would you ever want to do that? I don't like you. You don't like me. There's no need to do anything unreasonable." I told Dylan without sugar coating my words. I didn't like him for very obvious reasons. We didn't need to play 'friendly' with each other.

"We'll be seeing a lot of one another, you know? You might as well start warming up to me, brother-in-law."

I pretended to gag as he called me that. "Gross. Don't." I strictly told him, "Max and I aren't actually related. So stop that." The thought of him being my brother-in-law gave me the creeps.

His shoulders were slightly shaking and I knew he was laughing, "You two are really close though, right?"

"Sure, but that doesn't mean that you get get to call me that. I don't like you." I told him again, making sure he understood. "Besides, don't get so full of yourself so fast. We still don't know if Max will agree to dating you."