"Bright light," she grumbled, covering her eyes at the unexpected brightness. 

I pulled her hands from her face, revulsion filling me as I traced the outline of the bruise that was already starting to form. I hadn't broken anything, but I'd hit her pretty hard. "I'm so sorry. I didn't mean to hurt you."

"It was an accident." She said as she stepped closer, putting her hand on my shoulder as I removed my hand from her.

"That's no excuse for hitting you. Thank God you weren't any closer to me or I might have broken your cheekbone. I should go." I tried to turn away from her but she wouldn't allow me to, her arms winding around my neck.

"Steve, look at me." I met her eyes unwillingly, afraid of what I would see there. "I shouldn't have tried to wake you, but you looked so uncomfortable. I knew there was a possibility that you would wake up swinging. My buddy Jace wakes up with a knife in his hands. I was pretty far back; you're just faster than I anticipated, okay?"

I nodded, gently removing her hands from me so I could leave. I should go back to my apartment so she could get some sleep.

"Don't go." She put herself in my path again. "Please?"

"I shouldn't have stayed," I said quietly, "I didn't mean to fall asleep."

"Steve, correct me if I'm wrong, but that's the quietest you've been when you've slept for the past two weeks. No nightmares?"

My eyes found hers again, confused. How did she know I had nightmares?   

"I'm a light sleeper," she explained, her teeth worrying her bottom lip for a moment before continuing. "And the walls are pretty thin between our apartments; I'm pretty sure your bedroom and mine share a wall."

I felt my face flush as I processed what she was saying. I generally tossed and turned for most of the night, if I went to bed. I usually ended up sleeping on the floor, still not used to sleeping in a bed after almost two months. When I did sleep, my dreams were so vivid, it was like I was watching a movie – a horror movie – as I watched everyone I cared about die all over again. I huffed out a breath and ran a hand over my face, ashamed that she'd been hearing that.

 "Look, Steve," Sarah said, taking my hand from my face and squeezing it. "We're both tired and it's been a long couple of days. I need sleep, you need sleep, and I'm no expert, but right now I don't think you should be alone, so will you please stay with me?"

I nodded, finally understanding what she was offering: a way to keep the nightmares at bay – for both of us. I wasn't the only one who had them; I'd heard her cry out at night sometimes. She reached over and hit the lights, pulling me with her to her bedroom. I halted before reaching the bed, not sure I should really be in her bedroom.

"I can sleep on the couch, Sarah."

She sighed and turned to me, putting her arms around my torso and hugging me. I almost smiled when I realized she couldn't get her arms all the way around me, but I didn't. I put my arms around her, feeling the way she relaxed into me and starting to relax myself.

"Just sleep, nothing more, Steve. There's still a couple hours before we need to be up for the day."

"Okay."

I let go of her so she could slide in under the covers; exhaling loudly, I sat down on the bed and removed my shoes, the bed dipping under my weight. I stretched out on top of the covers, rolling so I could face Sarah. I let her rest her head on my shoulder, thinking how good this felt to have her in my arms as I gently stroked her soft hair. It didn't take her long to fall asleep. I pressed a gentle kiss to her forehead and let sleep take me.