Ice Cream Conversation

Scarlett Johnson

     "Oh hey Adara, sorry let me just grab my coat."

  I told her once I had answered the door, she nodded and stepped in closing the door lightly behind her. 

   "So anything you wanted to do?"

  Adara asked after I had slid into my coat, I shrugged and pulled the door back open.

  "Not really just wanted to talk."

  She told me, I smiled and followed her out the door and down the driveway where her blue slug bug was parked. 

    After we both hopped in she started up the engine and pulled out onto the road.

  "Ice cream?"

  Adara asked, I glanced over at her to see her eyes intently staring at the dark road ahead.

   "Sounds good."

  I told her happily, I buckled up and stayed silent for the short drive to the Wendy's down the street.

   "Are you good with just a frosty?"

  She asked once she pulled up to the drive thru, I nodded.

   "Chocolates good."

  I told her, Adara nodded and rolled her window down.

  I smiled to myself knowing that it was freezing outside and Christmas was literally here, but we happened to be getting ice cream.

    "Thank you!"

    Adara called to the worker that handed out our frosty's, with that she parked the car in the small parking lot and turned to face me. 

    "So anything new you want to tell me?"

  She asked, her mood changed dramatically.

  I shrugged not really knowing what to say.

   "Like what?"

   I asked, she gave me a strange look and focused all her attention on scooping a spoonful of ice cream into her mouth.

    "Any guys?"

  She asked, I froze for a split second before answering.

  "No why?"

   I asked her carefully, she smiled and turned to look out the window.

   "I have a guy I want to set you up with."

   She told me, I tried my best not to act nervous.

   "I'm good, but thanks."

  I told her as I tried to not sound so direct, she turned to face me again.

   "Why?"

  Adara asked, she was onto me and I knew it. 

    "Oh my gosh Scarlett! I know alright!"

   Adara told me loudly, my heart skipped a beat and I about dropped my cup of ice cream.  

   "Wait what?"

  I asked quietly, she seemed to be getting annoyed.

   "I know about you and Shawn, I saw you."

  She told me quietly, my face turned bright red and my nerves overcame me.

     Adara knew.