The Question

Scarlett Johnson

"Here I'll get the door!"

I quickly told Shawn as we approached the school doors.

He was fine, his cracked ribs healed quickly, but I still felt like the entire thing was my fault, but of course I wouldn't tell him that.

    "Scarlett, I'm perfectly fine."

He told me as I pulled the door open for him to enter.

  "If anything I am the one who should be opening the door."

He said in a whisper which caused my cheeks to turn warm.

  "Shut up, people will hear!"

I whisper yelled which led him to laugh, I noticed him wince briefly,  and I quickly entered after him to catch up to him in the crowded school commons.

   "You okay?"

I asked him, he nodded and smiled over at me.

  "Stop worrying so much beautiful."

He told me quietly, I nodded and the two of is continued down the hallway in search of our group of friends.

    After a moment I spotted Matthew leaning up against my locker, his eyes pierced into mine.

   "Matt actually wanted to talk to you the other day."

Shawn told me quietly, I glanced over at him and gave him a strange look.

So, I just nodded and let Shawn walk on without me, I stopped in front of Matt and waited for him to speak first.

    "Hey..."

He finally said after Shawn was out of earshot.

  "Hey, what's up?"

I asked, he grinned nervously down at me, I adjusted my backpack while I waited for him to go on.

   "So, going off of what I asked you last week..."

He said, I remembered he had something to ask me last week, but I had totally been out of it.

  "Ya, sorry I was having a tough day, so what was it?"

I asked him curiously, he ran a hand through his dark brown hair.

   "I actually wanted to know if you'd go out with me this Friday night?"

He asked, my mouth fell halfway open at his question, I froze and didn't know what to say.

   "Well Nash is throwing a killer party that night, I was wondering if you'd go with me?"

He went on, my heart pounded, what was I supposed to say?

I thought, my mind spun in circles.

    "Umm, I'm not really into the whole dating thing at the moment."

I told him as I tried to come up with a good excuse.

  "It doesn't have to be a date, just as friends."

He told me, I nodded and thought over my options.

  I could be a total jerk and not go, or I could be a good friend and do it for Matt.

    "Alright, sounds good."

I told him quietly, and he slowly brushed a stray strand of my hair out of my eyes.

  "Perfect! I'll pick you up at eight?"

He questioned, I nodded.

  His face lit up and his positivity perked up instantly.

   "Thanks Scar, it's going to be so much fun!"

He told me before he turned on his heel and walked away with a skip in his step.

    Shawn.

  Was my next thought, what was I supposed to tell him.

   "Oh by the way babe, I've got a date this Friday night, but I'll be back later!"

I thought in my head.

   I decided to tell him after school once we got home, that was my best bet of him not freaking out in public.