Chapter ii

We sat on the couch together watching it's a wonderful life. Rini who had seen this movie at least fifty times, sat on the couch and cried as she watched the movie. I'd somewhat forgotten about the sad parts in this Christmas film, so I got up and stumbled over to pull the DVD out of the DVD player. This was going to be one hard Christmas.

Despite getting pregnant at sixteen and having my child at seventeen four years ago, I managed to get a job at a clothing store and a hotel. Rini usually came with me when I worked at the hotel. And it was usually Robbie, the hotels assistant concierge serviceman, who played with her.
He was a kind man, but my boss, erm..not so much.

"What do you want to watch Rini?" I asked. She sniffled.

"I wanna watch Rudolph mummy." She said.

I scanned the room for the DVD box and found it. I then put in the Rudolph movie. You know, the one with Burl Ives as the talking snowman? As a child I loved that movie. Whilst watching the movie, Tana knocked on the door. I knew it was Tana because nobody usually came around to visit, not even my own mother.

I got up off the couch and walked over to the door. Opening the door, Tana smiled at me. Loads of gifts in her hands and she smiled.

"Merry christmas!" she shouted. Hearing this I bursted into a fit of laughter.

"Tana, it's December third, what are you doing here?" I asked. She smiled.

"Moms coming to watch Rini for Christmas." she said, and my eyes widened. It almost felt like they were gonna pop out of my head.

Why was my mother coming? Did I hear it right? Maybe I'm hallucinating. I quickly sighed.

"Why is mom coming?" I asked, as my left eyebrow was now raised in suspicion.

"Because, she feels bad for throwing you out like she did." Tana said. I groaned.

Why of all times did my mother have to pull this crap? It was supposed to be Tana and Rini. Sadly I couldn't say the three of us. Mostly because I'm working Christmas day.

"Its about time." I mumbled.

Rini paused the movie as she heard us talking and smiled at Tana. Tana smiled back and giggled at her. Rini giggled back.

"Nona's coming?" She asked. I nodded.

"Yup. Nona's coming." I said.

Rini smiled and hugged me. She hasn't seen nona since she was two. So this was quite exciting for her. I however, was quite skeptical seeing as I haven't seen my mother in almost three years.

I'm sure she was going to criticize what I did. I'm also sure she was going to say that she raised me to be better than what I've become. Blah, blah, blah. Although her words didn't matter, they still hurt.

I felt confused and dazed by everything. Meanwhile Rini was happy. I didn't want her to experience her nona like I did, so I just kept the parts where Nona and I fought out of the conversations we had together.

"We're all spending Christmas together too!" she said. I raised an eyebrow.

"I'm working Christmas day though." I said. She laughed.

"Not anymore, you know that Muslim lady named Nageen that you work with at Torrid?" She asked. I nodded.

"Nageen took your shift so you could have a Christmas with Rini." she said and I immediately started to cry.

"Bless Nageen she is a saint." she said and I wiped my tears.

I then began to think this was going to be the best Christmas I'd ever had in a really long time.