28. Wearing my best friend's jersey

Karim's lips quirked into a half-smile when he heard her call him 'Karim parim'

Karim's lips quirked into a half-smile when he heard her call him 'Karim parim'. That had to mean, she wasn't that angry, right?

"I have missed you so much," he finally breathed out, reaching towards her for a hug.

She pushed him back slowly, "I'm still angry with you. Karim parim just came out. So, no we don't hug."

He nodded, looking at his feet, "Uh, yeah, you're right. I deserve it."

She bit her lip, shaking her head, "No, you don't get to look all sad and shit when I am the victim here. You stood me up! What do you expect me to do? Be all friendly with you? What are you even doing here anyway?"

"I came for you," he said. "I mean, to tell you I am sorry. So, um, I'm sorry, Shaheen."

"Great," she replied. "Now that that's done, go home, Karim." She began to walk away.

"No, no, please," he grabbed her wrist. "I can explain. Kind of."

She glared at his hand around her wrist and then at him and he immediately let her go.

"Sorry," he gulped. "But truly I can explain and I think you deserve an explanation. Five minutes, promise."

"You're not going to go away, are you?"

He ran a hand over his hair, "Unless you want me too but I would advise you to just give me five minutes. If you feel like I've wasted your time, you can...you can go tell everyone I'm not the bride's younger brother and I'm sure they'll handle me for you."

Shaheen looked at him. I hate him. He's just so cute, standing here all flustered and asking me for five minutes. I hate him. Wait, did he say--?

"You've told people you're Jamila's younger brother?" she screamed.

"Shush, they'll kill me if they find out. Everyone's been treating me so nicely."

She glanced around to see if anyone could hear them and the dragged him to the side, "You do know Jamila is marrying my step-brother, right?"

"Yeah, Raphael told me," he smiled.

Her mouth dropped open, "Rapha—How does Raphael know about this? And what is he doing here? And Jese and Isco? How many of you are here? Like I don't really mind you guys coming over. I am a huge fan after all and I love you guys but my whole family is here. You have to give me a heads-up before pulling off such stuff. What do you think is going to happen if people find out you have been lying? Most people at this wedding aren't even football fans. Your--?"

"Shaheen, Shaheen, its okay," he calmed her down. "I don't care what happens to me as long as I get to tell you that I lo—that I am sorry."

"Fine, just get over with it," she huffed, trying not to let it show that right now, she was steps away from bawling her eyes out. Fun and games apart, he had hurt her and him just being here made it all so much more confusing but also, renewed the hurt. What can he possibly say to justify what he did? To justify treating me like dirt?