Chapter Nine

Chapter Nine

Finally it's spring break. I sit at the desk in my room, staring at my school text books that are laid out before me but I find myself constantly distracted, my thoughts drifting from the Victoria, the leech, to the lack of patrols I have done due to Sam's insistence on my school work and finally to the storm that is thundering on outside. I long to have the wind blow in my fur as I run through the forest, dirt kicking up behind me. Yet I am stuck inside my cosy house, not hunting down the vengeful vamp, a concept I find much more interesting. It's been a few weeks since my last patrol, where I watched over Bella. So far, the pack has warded off Victoria almost daily. It seems her attempts to get to Bella have become more desperate, her patience is wearing thin. Sam hopes they will capture her any day now, making our total of vampire kills to two. The only positive of a lurking leech is Bella's continuous stays. She spends either her time with Billy, Emily or myself due to the boy's being constantly on patrol. Her worry for us is quite amusing to be frank, she seems to believe the vampire will be the end of our pack. Her faith in us is lower than Embry's intelligence.

An alarm beeps and I turn the timer off that I had set on my computer. I have to do at least two hours of study after school each day, Sam's orders, after that I can do as I wish. I gladly close my books and put them in my faded grey backpack, ready to be taken to school after the holidays. I check the time, 5pm. Perfect, I have two hours left before I have to be home. I pull on a pair of sneakers and leave my room. I head downstairs and into the kitchen in search of a snack. My mother is at the bench, making a salad for dinner whilst my father is sitting on a stool opposite her, watching the television play football in the living room.

"Study done?" Mom asks, looking up.

"Yep, I finally understand biology now." I joke, opening the cupboard door.

"Hmm, well I hope your test next term proves that." She smiles, tucking a stray hair behind her ear that fell out of her bun.

"Yes, school is still your main priority Farren." Dad chastises, "It comes first, yes even before patrol. When you turn sixteen, we will become more lenient." He says after seeing the incredulous look upon my face.

"That's ridiculous! Surely the safety of the tribe is more important than school?" I spy a granola bar and open the packaging before taking a bite, closing the cupboard as I do.

"I'm more than sure the boys can handle it for now. You're much too young." Mom says kindly.

"Soon you will be able to join them." Dad adds.

I sigh and throw the empty wrapper into the bin. It's not fair, I can fight just as well as the rest of my pack. Deciding my parent's won't take my side in this argument, I reluctantly agree.

"I guess. Is it alright if I go for a short walk, I'd like some fresh air after being cramped up inside all day?"

"That's fine, as long as your stay inside La Push. Be home for dinner also sweetie." Mom smiles. I say goodbye before leaving through the front door. A small smile spreads across my face as I deeply inhale the pure air. The sky is coated in an array of hues ranging from blue to pink and all the colours in-between with light grey clouds spread thinly as the sun sets over the horizon. I shut the door behind me and start a light jog to the road opposite our house.

We live relatively close to town, a six minute walk for a human. I arrive in less than two. The small town centre is surprisingly busy, people lining the streets, entering and leaving stores. A few I recognise from school. A sudden thought comes to mind when I see a group of teenage guys walk past. Imprints. The question as to whether I can imprint or be imprinted on was put out of my wind quite quickly due to adding piles of work at school and Victoria's hunt for Bella, it just didn't seem that important. But now that my head is clear, the issue resurfaces. Jared explained that he imprinted by looking at Kim directly in the eyes, Sam also said this is what happened to him with Emily too. I see a group of boys from the year above me, sitting on some benches in the local park. I walk past them, trying to make discreet eye contact with all of them but it's no use. I feel nothing. Deciding not to give up after one try, I continue on my search. I'm sure that eventually I'll find him, my imprint. Even if I don't, there are plenty of people in my pack who haven't imprinted: Embry, Paul, Jake...

As I travel through the small town I try to look in the eyes of any boys I see in my general age but apart from a few odd looks, there's no marvellous reaction or sudden realisation that I was hoping for. A few shops away I see the bookstore where Louise, a friend from school, has a part-time job at. She did mention earlier today that she had the afternoon shift and that I should visit her, which I said I most likely could. I walk toward the store and open the flyscreen door. A small bell rings as I do so. The store is small but filled with books crammed onto the small shelves. Ranging from historical fiction to guides on how to boil eggs correctly, the variety of books here can rival Forks Library. As usual, multiple lavender candles are burning, giving the shop a lovely but overwhelming aroma. Mayarin, a family friend, sits on a chair behind the counter situated at the back. Mayarin is a widowed elderly woman, her husband died in a boating accident a few years ago. With a wise eyes and a sharp tongue she has become a favourite within the tribe. She greets me with a smile, wrinkles lining her friendly face as she does so. "Good evening Farren, how have you been lately? I've seen you with Sam Uley and his friends roaming around town lately. I hope he has been keeping you and your brother in check. I know what mischief makers you two, mr Black and mr Ateara can be."

I try not to smile at the old woman's words, remembering the many incidents that have earned us that title. "Oh certainly. Sam has put a stop to any antics we might attempt to pull." I reply politely. "And how have you been?"

"Same old, same old." She says, eyes shining with amusement. "Now, I'm guessing you haven't come here to buy a book. Have you dear?"

"Nothing can get past you can it?" I smile. "But yes, I was wondering if Louise was in? She mentioned at school today she was working tonight."

"You just missed her. She left a few minutes before you came in."

"That's a shame, I hope she wasn't annoyed that I didn't catch her in time. I said I would."

"She'll be fine." Mayarin states, pushing her glasses up. "Perhaps on Monday you'll see her."

"I should do, I need to purchase a new book anyway. I've finished the ones I bought last time."

"Well you're always welcome here Farren." She says fondly. "Anywho, it's getting late now and I'm sure your parent's won't appreciate me keeping you. Say hello to them for me won't you?"

"I will. It was nice seeing you again, have a nice weekend." I say. She waves goodbye as I leave. Like Mayarin said, the sun had now set and I set off into a run toward my house. I can feel that it is going to be a warmer day tomorrow, the pressure of the air is changing. After a couple of minutes the house comes into view and I see Embry emerging from the forest.

"Hey Em, wait up!" I yell, and I jog towards him, eager to hear the latest update.

A/N

Hello reader. It has been an awful while since I last updated and this chapter is awfully short, but I plan to be more regular with the updates now. Thank you for reading my story, I hope you are enjoying it so far. Also, Seth Clearwater will be making an appearance in the following chapters so there's that to look forward to. ;)

-Chickalee

�ʋ�і��tX