Recovery ~ The Final Battle (Part 2)

(Ryan's P.O.V) 

( In time with The Final Battle (Part 1) )

It's.. it's been rough for the past few weeks... Lucas has been on crutches from the car crash and he's been an emotional mess. God I.. I hate seeing him like this. We sent Danny to go stay with my parents, so Lucas could heal in peace. Today everything was supposed to go back to normal. It was the end of our Junior year of high school. This was a tough journey. One that I only want to relive half of.. 

I hear a car pulling into the driveway and look out the window to see it's Rachel and Lucas. I open up the door and help my boyfriend out of the car, "How did the funeral go?" I asked the two. He had just gotten back from Gwen's funeral, the toughest event he'll ever have to attend until his parents die. Gwen was like a sister to him, and you could tell. He still had that look on his face, the same look that he had when he got the phone call from the hospital that Gwen had died of organ failure. The same look he had when he went to bed with me every single night. It was that blank look that made me hurt the most. I.. I wanted to just hold him every time I saw him like that. Hold him and never let him go. 

"It.. it was fine, he ate though, which was good." Rachel informed grabbing his stuff from the car. I smiled from that fact. Lucas had eaten probably 4 full meals since Gwen died. Obviously he would nibble, but he hadn't had a full meal in forever.

"You did? That's good baby," I said kissing him on the cheek as I opened up the apartment door for him. Rachel followed us in setting his stuff down on the couch. "Thanks for taking him, Danny wanted to see me today.." I told Rachel. This whole having a kid, but not living with it thing was tough. He always wanted to be with us, but right now he couldn't. 

"Not a problem, it's awful, but.. she's in a better place now," Rachel said softly walking in the kitchen grabbing some water. I walked over to Lucas and helped him take off most of the suit. 

"I.. I'm gonna get changed.." he mumbled as he walked towards the bedroom. I sighed as I heard the door slam and the echos of cries 10 seconds later.. This was every day for us pretty much. He'd cry in our bedroom, I'd stay in the living room till he was done. He didn't want me in there comforting him anymore. It was sad.. 

"I.. I'll let you two do your thing, I gotta head home," Rachel stated grabbing her purse and kissing me on the cheek. 

"Thanks Rach, we'll see ya.." I said waving to her as she left. I walked down the hall and stood there waiting for Lucas to come out like he usually does. Though he didn't make any noise.. I opened up the door and gasped in shock to what I was seeing.

"Hey Ryan do you want to go out for dinner," said an almost fully dressed Lucas. I.. I was shocked, he was all cleaned up and he was smiling. "What? You're acting like you've never seen me before." he said with a chuckle. A chuckle! God I had my boyfriend back! Finally! 

"No.. it.. yeah, let's go out," I said still in shock. "What happened?" I asked him seriously. He looked back at me and sighed before giving his answer.

"I decided I needed to wake up,  I couldn't be sad anymore. Yeah, Gwen was my best friend, but she's dead now. I've grieved and I'm done grieving. It'll take time for me to be 100% Lucas again, but I'm gonna try my best to be back to 'normal'," He said to me attempting to walk without the crutches.

"Babe, I'm so proud of you deciding to move on. But you need the crutches still, that's a physical thing, not a mental thing," I said bringing them back over to him. He sighed as we walked out of the bedroom. "Wanna bring Danny home anytime soon?" I asked him.

"I.. I think it might be better if we keep him at your parents. For a while, just till I'm fully back on my feet, you know?" He asked me. I nodded in agreement. I totally understood what he meant, but I also missed Danny. We had fought really hard to get him and I hoped he didn't have second thoughts. "Hey," Lucas said looking at me, "Everything will be okay, I'm gonna get better, I promise," he said adding something I hadn't seen from him in a long time.

He smiled, that's when I knew, we we're gonna be fine.