~20~ That's Not My Cookie

Start from the beginning

"Okay. So I'll take that as a yes." She whispered, "Now do you want me to respond to this as a psychologist or a best friend?" I frowned, hugging my throw pillow against my chest.

"Both?" I tried, hoping she could give me her opinion in both ways.

"As your best friend, I think you should be careful, Sydney. You're like one of the sweetest, bravest, kindest, most amazing people I know. I don't want to see someone take that away from you. But Bennett seems like he might return the feelings, so I suggest maybe you should try to talk to him subtly about it." I nodded.

"As a psychologist, I believe from what you've been describing that both of you are uncertain of your feelings. Bennett's. . . well, he's obviously been through a lot and has trust issues. Just the fact that he has started to trust you is a great sign. I think you should both try and find a way to speak about it, a way where you both don't have a fear of being rejected." She finished, smiling sadly.

"I love you, Jess." I responded, smiling as she plopped down on the bed beside me and laid her head on my shoulder.

"I know, Syd. And I'll be here too support you through it all, don't forget that."

*

I ended up walking into Doughboy as a customer for the first time all summer. I was shocked to find Bennett talking to some new girl, a new trainee maybe, behind the counter. I had no doubt in my mind that they were flirting.

"Syd, hey!" Tristan popped up out of no where, grinning.

"Sydney, this is my sister Abbey." Tristan made a gesture toward the girl beside him, "Ab, this is the girl I was telling you about, Sydney." I walked up and took her outstretched hand with a smile.

"Hi." I said.

"I've heard so much about you! I feel like we've already met." She joked, laughing. Bennett cracked a smile, sending me a welcoming nod.

"You don't have to work today, so what are you doing here?" Tristan asked, earning a dirty look from his sister.

"Nice way to make a girl feel loved, Tristan." I replied, "I wanted to come as a customer for once, if that's okay." He snorted.

"Cool, you might as well take a seat before the lunch rush." I nodded and walked over to a booth, dropping my purse beside me.

I looked back up to find Bennett and Abbey talking again, a full smile spreading across Bennett's face.

"Don't look at them, they'll think you're jealous." Tristan whispered in my ear, setting down a plate of cookies in front of me before sliding into the booth across from mine.

"He's smiling." I said, nodding toward them.

"Of course he is. My sister has some magical power that makes everyone love her. You guys actually kind of remind me of each other." He took a cookie, glancing over his shoulder as the couple behind the counter laughed.

"I don't see him smiling like that very often." I went on. Tristan raised an eyebrow.

"Then you must not see him when we're talking about you after work. He likes you, Syd. And you don't have to worry about Abbey, she's engaged and the guy is like this monster that could crush us all." I laughed, picking up a cookie and staring at it.

"She's also almost thirty and finds Bennett kind of kiddish because of his attitude. I'm not saying you are jealous, I'm just letting you know why you shouldn't be." He shut his mouth as Bennett made his way over to us and stole a cookie from the plate.