Chapter 2

"Moony wake up!"

That was the only warning he got before a large, overly excited body leapt onto his own. Remus groaned and attempted to pull the covers over his head, but the person, probably Sirius, yanked them down and dragged him out of bed.

"You're not allowed to be tired on the first day of school Moony!" The person, it was definitely Sirius, exclaimed. "You have to get ready and help us make plans on how to annoy Snivellus!"

"Do it without me," Remus grumbled as was greeted with an over exaggerated gasp.

"We can't do that! You're the only one that knows the school rules," Sirius exclaimed.

Remus groaned loudly to show how much he wasn't enjoying getting out of bed, before shoving Sirius off him and standing up. He looked down to see Sirius sprawled on the floor, his long limbs spread out like an octopus. He huffed and trudged to the bathroom. After doing everything necessary, he opened the door to find Sirius sitting outside with an excited look on his face.

Remus laughed. "You're like a little puppy," he teased, ruffling Sirius' hair.

Sirius laughed nervously. "Hah, a puppy. Yeah."

Remus gave him a weird look before picking up his book bag. It was normal for Sirius to go from overly excited to awkward in a few minutes.

"Come on, let's go. Where are James and Peter?" Remus asked as he moved towards the door.

"Downstairs in the common room," Sirius said before bounding after him. Remus yawned and trudged into the common room, almost tripping on the last step.

"Moony! There you are!" James exclaimed, rushing towards him. "So I had this great idea. . ."

Remus tuned out his voice and looked at Sirius instead, who was walking in front of them, talking to Peter with his arms flailing wildly. He stared Sirius' long dark hair, that felt as soft as a teddy bear and bounced as he walked. Soon, his eyes started to wonder lower, past Sirius' broad shoulders and down to his. . .

"Ahem!" James coughed louder. "What are you looking at Moony?" He said with a large smirk on his face.

"Nothing," Remus muttered, glaring at James. Sirius turned around and gave them a confused look. Remus waved him away, so he continued to talk to Peter.

"You should tell him," James said.

"No, Prongs," Remus huffed.

"But it-" James tried.

"I said no!" Remus exclaimed before catching up to Sirius and Peter.

"Hey!" Sirius said, swinging his arm over Remus' shoulder. "I have to tell you something later."

"Okay, is it important?" Remus asked.

"Of course it's important! I would never ask you anything that's not important!" Sirius gasped.

"Sirius," Remus sighed. "You woke me up in the middle of the night just to ask me what water tasted like."

"That was important!" Sirius shoved him before walking through the doors to the Great Hall.

"We have different definitions of what important means," Remus said drily as they sat down at the Gryffindor table.

"Hush Moony," Sirius huffed before slinging an arm over the werewolf's shoulder.

It was an action Sirius had done so many times, but it was only then did Remus realise that he had much more contact with Sirius than James or Peter. Usually it was an arm over the shoulder, but it was also the brush of fingers as they worked. Maybe James was right, maybe he should tell Sirius about his feelings.

But then Remus was filled with the dreaded images of Sirius pushing him away and calling him a freak. No, he wouldn't take that chance. He would rather have their friendship and pine over him for eternity rather than Sirius hating him.

"Moony?" Sirius asked, a look of concern etched onto his face. "You okay?"

"Yeah," Remus managed a tight smile. "Just fine."

-

It was an exhausting first day. Remus remembered their first two years of school, where classes were never so hard and the teachers never pressured you. But this was fifth year and they had their OWLS this year.

Remus was sitting on the couch in the common room, reading a book, when Sirius barged in through the portrait hole. With a huff, he dropped his book bag onto the floor before plopping onto the couch, placing his head against Remus' legs.

"What happened this time?" Remus laughed, closing his book. It was almost tradition for Sirius to come into the common room and rant about something that happened in the day. This usually happened at least twice a week.

"Do you know how many speeches I heard about OWLS?" Sirius grumbled.

"Padfoot, every fifth year heard those speeches," Remus laughed, running his hand through the dark locks of hair.

"Yeah, but they're all the same. Can't all the teachers just get together and make the speech once?" Sirius complained.

"Well, that would take up too much time, seeing as those speeches normally go for half the lesson," Remus said.

"Yeah but-" Sirius was cut off by Lily Evans who was standing in front of them. "Yes, Miss Perfect?"

"Shut up Sirius," Lily huffed, rolling her eyes. "Remus, we have to go do our prefect duties."

"What?!" Sirius exclaimed. "You can't do that Moony! That's against the rules of the Marauders!"

"Sorry Sirius," Remus chuckled. "I have to."

He pushed Sirius' head off him before standing up and walking to the portrait hole with Lily. Just before the painting swung shut, Remus heard Sirus' remark.

"Bloody traitor, he is."

Lily looked over at him and smirked, but continued to walk without saying anything. Remus looked at her strangely, but she ignored him.

"What? What are you smirking at?" He asked.

"You like him," she stated. Remus nearly tripped over his feet.

"What?" He spluttered. "No I don't!"

"Honestly Remus, I'm not blind," Lily huffed. "Besides, he likes you too."

"What on earth are you talking about?" Remus asked.

"I really thought you were smarter than that Remus," she said, looking at him through the corner of his eyes. "The way you too look at each other is sickeningly adorable."

Remus blushed a bright red. "Shut up," he murmured before stalking off ahead.

Lily smirked at his retreating back. He was in love with Sirius, whether he wanted to admit it or not.

-

Hey guys! Sorry for the late update, I really have no excuse. I just procrastinate way to much. Anyways, it's done now. Hope you all enjoyed.

Picture credit: karasawr on tumblr.