He shrugged. "I've played this game before."

My phone buzzed a few times in my jacket pocket. It was Janet.

"Hello?"

  "Hi, are you at home?" She asked wearily. Something wasn't right.

  "No, I'm with Face. Is everything alright? You don't sound okay."

  "Yeah, yeah, I just thought I'd stop by... I, um...." Janet's voice quivered with every word. I felt sick.

  "I'm coming home right now, okay? Just hold tight."

I hung up. "I'm sorry, I have to go. Something's going on with Jan." I stood up from the couch.

  "Oh, I hope she's alright, let me know." He walked me to the door.

  "I will. Hey."

  "Yeah?" He picked his head up. I tackled him with a tight hug. He responded almost immediately. I then reached up to peck his cheek.

  "Thank you. For everything."

  "Anything for the wife." He winked. I just smiled a toothy grin. He was an amazing man. I could see he was starting to get lost in my eyes. Somehow, I didn't feel the least bit uncomfortable. Maybe it's because it was the way he always looked at me, yet now I knew why. Even if I had no feelings for him, The fact that he cared so much made me appreciate him even more.

  "Face, honey, I have to go." I said gently, patting his arm.

  "Yeah, sorry." He cleared his throat and rubbed the back of his neck.

  "I'll talk to you later, okay?"

  "Okay. Bye. Drive safe."

  I jogged to my car and sped off in the direction of my house, feeling a little better and a little worse.

Janet

I waited in my car for Toni to pull up, alone with my thoughts for far too long. I knew I loved Wissam; I knew I was in love with him. Yet, sometimes, a part of me wonders how we made it this far. Above all things, he could just be so rude. He had no filter when one was extremely necessary, and he never seemed to realize it until after the screaming match, when he was ready to make up and have sex again. It was a never ending pattern. It never solved anything. And I realized he could be so considerate , only when he wanted to be.  Like when he wanted to have sex. He knew what he was doing. He just didn't care. Today, he got physical, which scared the shit out of me. He'd never touched me that way. It reminded me of a past relationship, a past version of me, and It triggered a fear inside of me that I thought had died a while ago.

And Toni was the definition of my heaven. She was here whenever I needed her. She was kind. She was unselfish. She was so beautiful. Extremely, indescribably, immaculately sexy. Silly. She knew me better than I knew myself. A goddess between the sheets. I wanted her body all the time. Her company. In all the years that I'd known her, she never wronged me.

Quite honestly, I didn't deserve her. I was selfish. I wasn't anything she needed. I wasn't there for her. I wasn't attractive enough. She needed someone to match her elegance and style. It wasn't me.

Working myself into more of a funk, I saw headlights shining in my rear view mirror. It was Toni. I fixed myself up quickly before getting out of the car. She stepped out too, and my attention was immediately drawn to the abundance of curves in her dress, more specifically her legs, thick in all the right places, a perfect mocha brown against the olive green of the fabric sitting right at mid-thigh.