worth

john walked down the busy street to his dorm, which he miraculously didn't have to share with anyone. the board said if anyone new moved in, they'd be with john.

still, when he opened the door, he didn't expect a guy with suitcases scattered around him to be waiting inside.

"um, hi?" john said, unsure how to respond to the sudden change. he figured someone would at least let him know if a new person moved in.

"hi! i'm james madison. nice to meet you!" the eager boy exclaimed, putting a hand out to shake.

john took it and replied, "hi. i'm john laurens. nice to meet you aswell." he examined the boy in front of him, who was honestly kind of funny. he seemed so excited for college to start, where as john was so excited for college to end. they couldn't be any more different, what with james' happy attitude and all.

"take the bed on the left. i'm on the right," john added before curling up under a blanket at his desk and starting a essay for ela.

"hey, john? what do you major in?" james asked, curious to get to know his new dorm mate.

"i don't know yet, i guess. i haven't picked one. i have to by next year though," he sighed, thinking of his home. if he didn't go into a good career by next year, his dad would stop paying for college and he'd have to come home, so he was trying to stay away from it for as long as possible.

"oh, that's cool! i don't have a major either, but i'm studying latin and greek, so i'm probably gonna minor in one of them. i wanna major in something to do with languages though," james replied.

"oh, that's cool! i'm no good at languages, but my friend lafayette speaks french. well, he's from france, so i guess that would help," he smiled. "i want to major in something to do with fine arts, but my dad's not having it," and the smile fell from his face.

"yeah, i wanted to do theatre but my parents weren't for it. i guess i can always do that on the side, y'know?" james asked.

"yeah. i have an essay to work on so sorry, but i guess i have to get back to that," john finished the conversation, his mind taking a darker turn and wanting to shut everyone out. he missed having his dorm be silent, but he didn't mind james that much. he seemed okay.

"yeah, ok. you're pretty cool though, by the way. better then my last roommate," james commented before flipping open a laptop.

john smiled at that, happy he could make someone else happy.

a/n hello wow i abandoned this story. i had writers block for this. so i think it'll help me if i write shorter chapters? there will occasionally be long ones, but the chapter length will reflect my dirk gently one probably (which is the one i focus on. go check it out!! it's called hold me.

also, in case you guys didn't know, i go by evan now. that's all,, love u