are

"and so he speaks," laurens laughed, liking alex's voice. he loved hearing people speak because the way they talk told stories. and alexander's told a novel. his voice was scratchy from lack of use it seemed, and his voice was low and small. though it seemed it could probably be big if alex tried.

the mute boy was quiet after that, not talking again. but he smiled at john's comment, pleased with his reaction. most people, which was really only the one person he had ever spoken too after he had stoped normally speaking, asked what was wrong with his voice. john didn't.

john was upset with the lack of response from alex, but didn't mind it as he had expected it. john could, of course, talk enough for the both of them.

"so alex, you from new york?" john asked, trying to think of yes or no questions for him. he didn't want to make complicated questions for alex to respond to.

alex nodded yes, not really wanting to get into where he was from. thankfully, his lack of speaking helped him out.

"i wish i grew up here, with all of this around me happening all at once. south carolina sucks," he noted, bitterness replacing happiness that had reigned prominent in his voice earlier.

alex could tell that deep down, john was really, really sad. alex hated that. but alex understood too. alex also understood that where he grew up was probably awful compared to south carolina.

john's happiness and will to talk was killed, so he stayed silent and focused on the teacher's lesson, as did alex.

though every now and then, alex would look at john. because john's life was a puzzle, and it seemed like alex could not put it together because he seemed to have forgotten some pieces in the box.

after class, john talked to alex again. he offered alex a coffee at the nearby cafe, at which alex perked up immediately.

they walked to the cafe, which was named "domum," and grabbed a table. john asked alex how he liked his coffee.

'black,' alex wrote down, smiling. coffee was a savior for every college student these days, and especially for alex.

john ordered two coffees, one black and one with a packet of splenda, and headed back to the table with cups in hand. he slid alex the coffee, in which he proceeded to chug it. john stared at alex in shock.

"how in the world can you chug a black coffee?" john questioned.

alex shrugged in response. he then decided to quickly scribble down 'practice.'

"so, alex, what do you like to do?" john asked, not knowing what questions were good.

alex smiled and wrote, 'i like to write (obviously!) and i also like to study. boring, i know. you?'

john giggled while reading. "you do nothing fun, alex. i like to draw, and also i really like board games? i'm weird i'm aware."

'boring and weird, we make quite a team.' alex wrote.

"i like that," john responded, wanting to laugh. he couldn't remember the last time he felt this good. "um, sorry if this is blunt, but opinions on lgbtq+ people?"

'might as well get this over with before i start flirting,' john sighed.

a nervous smile spread across alexander's face. he wrote down, 'love them and proud to be a part of them.'

john smiled and signed, "thank you."

alex laughed, happy john was using asl. 'thank you," he signed back.

john looked at his watch and sighed angrily. "i've gotta go alex. see you soon?"

alex nodded, watching john go like a love-struck puppy, because really he was an in-love bitch.

-

short chapter sorry!! they'll probably vary in length. this one just felt appropriate to end here. i promise i'll update more soon don't kill me.