He shook his head comically, then glanced up at the crooked street signs. Just a little bit farther...

A tinge of anxiety settled in his stomach at the thought of seeing them again. He actually hadn't been lying at the part about not seeing them for a while. He couldn't say the same for the rest of his speech.

Thorne mentally went through the list that had been given to him.

Get her out of the area. Check.

Convince her he can be trusted. Check.

Get her to the location. Almost.

He blinked away the list and focused on the instructions Ze'ev had given him. Just because he hadn't seen him didn't mean he hadn't been in contact. His friend knew all about the current job. That's not what he was worried about.

Ze'ev had a tendency to say what he meant or not speak at all. Thorne was a bit concerned he'd let something slip.

To make matters worse, he didn't know if the wife knew about any of it. He'd have to be very careful.

Then again, Carswell Thorne was always careful.

He looked over at Birdy, checking to make sure she hadn't wandered off. She was right beside him, her hair flying in all directions as she tried to take everything in at once. He had to admit, it was cute, in a mousy sort of way.

Thorne grabbed her wrist again, ignoring how she flinched every time he got near. That must be a side effect of her parents. What was their problem anyway? He shook the thought away. He was getting paid, that's all that mattered. He straightened up in pride at the sign above the nearest building.

"Le Petite Auberge."

They'd made it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The inn was quaint. It was a four story building squished in between a boarding house and another, much older building. A town square was just a few paces away, and next to the fountain that stood in the center, a kind looking girl was selling flowers.

Cress felt her hand being tugged towards the building, and reluctantly followed into the dark interior.

The sound of laughter and the clinking of glasses echoed through the cozy room. It seemed to be filled to the brim with families and tired men, getting away from work for a lunch break. What was extraordinary to Cress was that there seemed to only be one waitress for them all; a short, fiery red head. The girl emerged from the bar carrying four plates of bread, soup and waters balanced on her arms. It looked like quite a feat, but she wasn't even breaking a sweat.

This girl's outfit shocked Cress more than anything else she'd seen that day.

Stars, she thought. She's wearing breeches.

Tight, dark brown pants clung to the girls curvy figure, followed by a white shirt and leather boots. A red shawl was tied around her small waist like a belt, bringing out the stunning color of her hair.

The girl finally caught eye of the pair.

"I'll be with you in un moment." Her accent cut through the air.

Thorne led her to a booth in the back before approaching the bartender alone. Cress felt overwhelmed, but safe. The atmosphere was lively and comfortable.

He returned to their table with a relaxed grin on his face.

"This;" he said, motioning to the man next to him, "Is my good friend Ze'ev."